The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Loire Tasting with 2 Baumard whites and 3 Puzelat reds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: Loire Tasting with 2 Baumard whites and 3 Puzelat reds

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:05 am

This was a rather analytic tasting, contrasting two Chenin Blancs (different styles/same producer/same year) and different varietals, Gamay, Pineau d'Aunis, Cot (same styles/same producer/same year). As always, with wine, it’s fun to infer and dangerous to conclude. But while the two chenins seemed like different varietals, the three varietals seemed more like variations on one. There’s a riff on nature v. nurture in there somewhere, if only I can find it…

2005 Domaine de Baumard Clos du Papillon Savennières 13.0%
With Brie and toast. Screw cap (hooray). Decanted for five hours. Ugly jaundiced straw color. Extremely aromatic, a cocktail of white flowers, resin, almond, vanilla bean, pear, and honey. Good mouth feel, almost sumptuous, decent acidity, borderline deficient, but not quite, and a curiously artificial sweetness, as if from candy. Slightly bitter finish. Nose was complex, but I’d say the mouth is in an awkward phase. Should improve.

2007 Thierry Puzelat Touraine Pouillé (Gamay) 12.0%
With Kalbsbratwurst Veal Sausage and Maille Fig & Coriander Mustard. Regular (good quality) cork. Double decanted for three hours. Light ruby. Rich aromas of strawberry, raspberry, church spices, cloves. Good acid/sweet balance, good structure, pleasantly bitter finish. Seems vinified much drier than your average Beaujolais cru, therefore, while equally aromatic, style is more austere in the mouth. Nice.

2007 Thierry Puzelat Touraine La Tesnière (Pineau d'Aunis) 12.5%
With Cervelá Beef Sausage and Maille Apricot and Curry Mustard. Regular (good quality) cork. Double decanted for three hours. Light ruby. Aromas are similar to the preceding, but denser, with the same red berries, church spices, plus a note of smoked meat. Great mouth feel, chunky and dense, excellent acid/sweet balance, good grip from acidity and a surprising amount of tannin. Similar to the Gamay, but with much more of everything, felt like going from a Village to a Premier Cru. Lovely, and my WOTN.

2007 Thierry Puzelat Touraine KO (In Côt We Trust) (Malbec) 12.5%
With Frankfurter Beef and Pork Sausage and Maille Celery and Truffle Mustard. Regular (good quality) cork. Double decanted for three hours. Dark ruby, contrasting greatly with previous two. But aromas are, again similar to both, with red berries and church spices, plus an odd citric note. Mouth-puckering acidity dominates the fruit, this feels like the grapes were picked too early. This was the only Puzelat with that yeasty, wet cardboard finish often found in natural wines that should never be there (because I dislike!). I had enjoyed a taste of this at Chambers a few months ago but this bottle, while fruity too, was just too acidic for my palate. And, boy, nothing could be further from Argentine malbec. Also on a different planet from Cahors malbec. Nurture trumps nature here, no doubt about that.

2005 Domaine de Baumard Quarts de Chaume (Chenin Blanc) 12.5%
With Coconut Tapioca Ice Cream with Vin Cotto sauce. Screw cap (hooray). Decanted for two hours. Beautiful golden hue, as befits one of the finer dessert wines out there. Intensely aromatic, with quince, guava, pineapple and honey nectar. Sumptuous mouth feel, excellent acid/sweet balance when cool, starts to become a bit cloying as it warms. Probably needs many more years to shed the baby fat, right now a bit too candyish.

On revisiting the three reds, their aromas continued to be lovely, but the sweetness of the Quarts de Chaume had made all three unbearably acidic, all of a sudden. I usually revisit the reds after the dessert wines, and while they always taste more acidic, they had never become downright disagreeable. I usually find myself complaining that the fruit was picked too ripe. Here, perhaps all three Puzelats needed a bit more ripeness.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTNs: Loire Tasting with 2 Baumard whites and 3 Puzelat reds

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:15 am

Sounds like a fun tasting and interesting verdict on the Baumards. I don't have enough experience with Baumards or with 2005 Loire whites recently to know whether that is a stage or just a miss from the producer, but nonetheless interesting stuff.

Here, perhaps all three Puzelats needed a bit more ripeness.

This is also interesting. Perhaps just a function of the vintage, like the Trinch! you had the other day, 2007 is not 2005 or 2006.

Also, I assme this was with other people. Do they usually drink such Loire wines? What did they think?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:31 am

People? What's that?

Yes, we were eight, but nobody with Loire experience, and reactions varied considerably. Some got cassis in the reds, which I didn't see at all. The QdC is always a crowd pleaser and an eye-opener for those who say they don't like sweet wines.

Marcia says that what stood out for her was how Puzelat's stylistic signature seemed to predominate over the three grape's particularities and how surprised she was that malbec can taste so different.

Yes, perhaps there is a "2007 too much acid" and "2005 not enough acid" theme running here... Hadn't thought of that.

BTW, I'd buy more of the Trinch! and the Puzelat Pineau d'Aunis.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:41 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Marcia says that what stood out for her was how Puzelat's stylistic signature seemed to predominate over the three grape's particularities...

I can definitely see that and although I enjoy many of the wines this is my one running critique. Some of the Puzelat Boosters claim the wines are mainly about their terroir, so perhaps I need to explore that further, but to me the similarity across wines is greater than the difference.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:52 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:2005 Domaine de Baumard Quarts de Chaume (Chenin Blanc) 12.5%
With Coconut Tapioca Ice Cream with Vin Cotto sauce. Screw cap (hooray). Decanted for two hours. Beautiful golden hue, as befits one of the finer dessert wines out there. Intensely aromatic, with quince, guava, pineapple and honey nectar. Sumptuous mouth feel, excellent acid/sweet balance when cool, starts to become a bit cloying as it warms. Probably needs many more years to shed the baby fat, right now a bit too candyish.

Definitely needs a lot more time. I've only tried one Baumard QdC - that was the 1990 a couple of years ago, and it shocked me just how incredibly young, dense and sweet it was even at around 17 years of age then. Those wines seem built to last generations.

Nice lineup and notes, that Pineau d'Aunis sounds really lovely.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:13 am

I don't have a lot of experience with Baumard but, in general, I would expect a 2005 Savennières to be in an awkward spot right now.

I really must try to find some Puzelat. He seems to have done a good job with the difficult for reds 2007 vintage.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Chris Kissack

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:42 am

by Chris Kissack » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:38 pm

I haven't tasted the particular Puzelat wines written up here, but it is very appropriate in my opinion to look at these within the context of a vintage generalisation. I lot of the reds I tasted at and around this year's Salon in Angers were of this vintage, and there were very few wines that didn't show at least some evidence of unripe, green fruit, and in some cases these characteristics were overt and really off-putting. Off the top of my head only Baudry and Antoine Sanzay (Saumur-Champigny, young up and coming producer who made a superb 2007 S-C L'Expression) made good wines. What I tasted from Puzelat was mostly 2008, though, so can't say anything specific. Nevertheless if the wines were clean, not green, and showed only higher acidity as the mark of the vintage then I would suggest that you have actually done pretty well! :)

As for Baumard, these are great wines but as suggested above the wines are closer to the old-school rather than modern Savennières style and I agree now probably isn't the best time to be drinking the Papillon. In a similar vein the 2002, tasted not that long ago, was hard and unyielding - I am hoping this one just needs more time.

The oldest Baumard QdC I have tasted recently was the 1980, still in very good nick. Let us hope that the 2005 is still as good after 25 years under screwcap.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:08 am

Richard Kelley wrote about the difficulties of 07 in the Loire:

http://www.r-w.co.uk/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=114

After reading that, a general rush to pick ASAP (and perhaps a touch prematurely) in 07 would appear understandable.