The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Breton Bourgueil Trinch!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2007 Breton Bourgueil Trinch!

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:17 am

2007 Catherine & Pierre Breton Bourgueil Trinch! 12.0%
Right after removing the plastic (boo!) cork, bottleneck showed moldy aromas, almost naphtalene, which had mostly dissolved entirely by the time I poured an hour later. In the glass, pleasant cherry, still a little musty (often find this in cab francs), with a hint of tar and a nice frame of damp earth, or forest floor strewn with criss-crossed twigs (you can always tell, from the taste, whether the twigs were criss-crossed or parallel...). Before food, first mouthful showed more acidity than fruit, not for sipping on the porch or at a cocktail, but promising if you want a food wine. Food made the acid/sweet balance just right and, from that point onwards, I enjoyed it very much, finding it the just about the perfect entry level cab franc. Marcia said she would have liked more actual fruit, as opposed to twigs and wet earth, etc., but I have no complaints, not at this price.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2007 Breton Bourgueil Trinch!

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:19 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:2007 Catherine & Pierre Breton Bourgueil Trinch! 12.0%Before food, first mouthful showed more acidity than fruit, not for sipping on the porch or at a cocktail, but promising if you want a food wine..

Not to be too much of a nitpicker because I guess it all depends on personal preferences (as always), but I must confess I never understood this attitude. I find these types of wines perfect for sipping on the porch or at a cocktail because they are refreshing and lively. The one use I find difficult for these wines is for a quiet night at home when I want something complex to contemplate. But otherwise I don't see why they have to 'only' be 'food wines'.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:49 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:2007 Catherine & Pierre Breton Bourgueil Trinch! 12.0%Before food, first mouthful showed more acidity than fruit, not for sipping on the porch or at a cocktail, but promising if you want a food wine..

Not to be too much of a nitpicker because I guess it all depends on personal preferences (as always), but I must confess I never understood this attitude. I find these types of wines perfect for sipping on the porch or at a cocktail because they are refreshing and lively. The one use I find difficult for these wines is for a quiet night at home when I want something complex to contemplate. But otherwise I don't see why they have to 'only' be 'food wines'.

This is defined by your palate, Rahsaan. Many folks find these wines too acidic, which makes them taste tart or shrill without food to buffer the acidity. You don't, so they make fine aperitifs, but it's very much a function of sensitivity to acid.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:02 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:This is defined by your palate, Rahsaan. Many folks find these wines too acidic, which makes them taste tart or shrill without food to buffer the acidity.

I guess. But if the wines really taste shrill to people then they'd probably be better off finding something else entirely to have with their meal. There are certainly wines that I find shrill and I usually don't find much reason to drink them at all. Good Loire Cabernet Franc is refreshing and not shrill.

But, I guess it's all relative!
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Chiming in here... I had the 2002 version of this, which was a lovely wine, but a little simple (I bought it before I knew more about the different Breton cuvees) and I found it better with food than without. Acidic wines like this tend to need a ballast. While drinking them alone is doable, I'd much rather have something with it that enhances the experience. But for some reason, acidic whites don't bother me as much, and I seem to be able to like them solomente.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:36 pm

Mark S wrote:Acidic wines like this tend to need a ballast. While drinking them alone is doable, I'd much rather have something with it that enhances the experience...

I guess. My only point is that 'drinking wines alone' covers a wide range of circumstances and for drinking at a party or before dinner it seems preferable to have lighter refreshing wines rather than richer more complex wines that might be better suited to slow contemplation.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:41 pm

Though lighter, refreshing wines don't always have to be acid-dominated. Balance is even more crucial when drinking wine as an aperitif.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:53 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Though lighter, refreshing wines don't always have to be acid-dominated. Balance is even more crucial when drinking wine as an aperitif.

Exactly! This is why we have have Beaujolais! :P
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Rahsaan, I didn't find it shrill, just more acid than sweet (before food). May be semantics, but I don't understand that to mean shrill.

I see "lighter refreshing wines" v. "richer more complex wines" as a somewhat different axis of discussion than "more acidic" v. "less acidic," so I agree entirely with David's "lighter, refreshing wines don't always have to be acid-dominated. Balance is even more crucial when drinking wine as an aperitif."

With food, balance seems less crucial. One could even make a case in favor of some pre-food imbalance, one that will right itself with food. Pre-food balance could mean insufficient grip later.

What I find especially interesting about having a single wine at home in the evening is the opportunity to first taste it with a "virgin" palate, and then see what food does to the acidity. Tonight we are having some people over for a tasting of 5 Loire wines (3 Puzelats and 2 Baumards), and I'll only be able to do that with the first one. The subsequent wines will all be tasted with a "buffered" palate, which is fine, of course, but a little less instructional.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I see "lighter refreshing wines" v. "richer more complex wines" as a somewhat different axis of discussion than "more acidic" v. "less acidic," so I agree entirely with David's "lighter, refreshing wines don't always have to be acid-dominated. Balance is even more crucial when drinking wine as an aperitif."

Ok. So I guess your comment was mainly about the 2007 version of Trinch! which probably is more acidic than other versions. Despite the fact that Trinch! wines are usually in a lighter refreshing style (with varying degrees of acidic-ness).
no avatar
User

Chris Kissack

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:42 am

by Chris Kissack » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:41 pm

I found the 2007 Trinch! to have a suggestion of under-ripe fruit alongside the acidity. Still quite fresh and appealing though, so not a wine I would disregard on this basis.