The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: US Chard & Syrah, Rioja, NZ SB

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: US Chard & Syrah, Rioja, NZ SB

by Dale Williams » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:31 pm

Saturday was the 4th, but my parents arrived that afternoon and we had a quiet dinner to celebrate my dad's birthday a little early. Surf and turf- our favorite lobster/corn/tomato salad, then some porterhouse along with a grilled sweet potato and scallion salad and squash. Two American wines for the day:

1998 Montelena Chardonnay (Napa)
Cork was not in great shape, I decanted this, and was a little worried re the fairly deep golden color. But no oxidation at least for first hour, just a rather lean and woody Chardonnay. Good acids, some wood tannin but no vanilla, maybe a bit shy on the pear/apple fruit. But ok in an austere Chardonnay kind of style. B-/B

2005 Andrew's Vat "Alder Ridge" Syrah
Blackberry jam, cocoa, fruit forward, big rather than deep, not my preferred style but I think Dad liked it. B-

Tonight we went to Half Moon, a large restaurant on the waterfront. Packed due to gorgeous weather, we ate inside as wait for outside tables was long, but we still had nice Palisades/river views. I had blistered shishito peppers and then skate with tamarind, Betsy had ribs.

I had a glass of the 2007 Mill Harbor Sauvignon Blanc ( NZ but I don't know region). Gooseberry and grass, modest acidtity, a bit short. (Barely) acceptable. C+/B-

Betsy had the 2003 Campo Viejo Crianza Rioja, red berry fruit, light vanilla, a bit anonymous but a step above the SB. B-

My dad had the L de Lyeth Merlot, which I might have tried a sip enough, but since (as always) he added several ice cubes, I passed. :)

Nice evenings, even if no great wines!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.