The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: ESJ, Scholium & Coturri for the 4th of July

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: ESJ, Scholium & Coturri for the 4th of July

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:21 am

For the Independence Day of my home away from home, a hipster hippie lineup to say hip hippie hooray for the U. S. of A.

2005 Edmunds St. John Paso Robles Shell and Bone 14.2%
With Artisanal Hoja Santa (goat). Blend of Viognier and Roussanne. Decanted for 9 hours. Beautiful golden hue. Very aromatic and floral nose. I expected this to be slightly lacking in acidity but it was fine, in good balance with the caramel sweetness and anis fruit. One of the guests found airplane glue, but I couldn't see it. A slightly bitter finish, usually a downer for me, was quite lovely here, and tinged with salinity. A good showing.

2007 Scholium Project Naucratis Lost Slough Vineyard Verdejo 14.9%
With Artisanal American Camembert (cow). Decanted for 10 hours. Aroma is mainly faded fruit salad, the kind in which the banana wheels are already becoming over the hill. Some yeast and wet dishrag, acceptable. Residual sweetness in the mouth, slightly hot, slightly acid deficient. Not bad, but disappointingly tame, since I know how exotic wine this can be. Perhaps the long decant dampened it too much.

2005 Edmunds St. John California Rocks and Gravel 14.2%
With Artisanal Laurier Bay Leaf (goat). A blend of Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre and Counoise. Decanted 2 hours. According to Steve Edmunds, making this wine “involved combining parts of fourteen different wines from eleven different vineyard sites, encompassing five or six different growing regions in California....” Ripe cherry aromas, laced with nail polish. Lush and satisfying mouth feel, excellent acidity, but fruit seemed on the simple side, and beginning to fade. In defiance of its low price, perhaps I expected a little more complexity, given the multiplicity of its components.

2005 El Dorado County Syrah Wylie-Fenaughty 14.6%
With Nettle Meadow Kunik (goat with cow cream). Decanted 3 hours. Rich cassis and airplane glue nose. Excellent mouth feel and acidity grip, perfect acid/sweet balance, complex and attractive fruit, with molasses and cloves. Attractive tannins. A lovely wine, with many years ahead of it, and most people’s WOTN.

2004 Coturri Zinfandel Freiberg Vineyard Sonoma County 16.2%
With Grafton Village Maple-smoked Cheddar (cow). Decanted 6 hours. An exotic wine made from botrytized grapes. Complex nose, very port-like, with molasses, charred coconut, acetone, forest floor and the plastic used in band aids. Drier than expected (i.e., drier than port) but still sweet, with rich additional notes of coffee, cocoa, cedar and tobacco. Tannins had a pleasant grippy grain. On the finish, has that yeasty aftertaste, common in natural wines, which I don’t like. Otherwise quite special. PS: cork not good quality, rather Swiss cheesy; Coturri should invest in better corks or go straight to screw caps (by reputation, can’t think of any producer who would benefit more from that).

A fun evening, without my American friends, but with the next best thing, American cheese and wine. And no artificial corks.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTNs: ESJ, Scholium & Coturri for the 4th of July

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:43 am

Nail polish and fading fruit don't sound like a solid bottle of the Rocks & Gravel.

Darned lucky on the Coturri. That yeasty thing is going to take down the whole wine in the next 6-12 months if I know my Coturri's.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:47 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Nail polish and fading fruit don't sound like a solid bottle of the Rocks & Gravel..

I was interested to see nail polish/airplane glue show up in all three of the ESJ notes. Not what I remember as usual but then again wine is alive and I haven't tasted any of these recently.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:32 pm

I'd be interested in knowing more about your choice to decant the Scholium for ten hours.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:15 pm

Jenise wrote:I'd be interested in knowing more about your choice to decant the Scholium for ten hours.

A few weeks ago I opened a 2004 Coulee de Serrant and a 2007 Suore Sistercenci Coenobium Rusticum in the morning, poured them into decanters, and they were singing in the evening. Since the Scholium Naucratis I tried a few months ago seemed powerful and structured, I decided to try the same gambit. Marcia thought I was crazy. With the ESJ, I think it helped. With the Scholium, I'm not sure, so will try to pick up another bottle and try soon after opening to compare...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:58 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:For the Independence Day of my home away from home, a hipster hippie lineup to say hip hippie hooray for the U. S. of A.

Nice lineup of wines (and cheeses), Oswaldo! I don't think that I'd call Steve E. or his wines hipster hippies, but no objection about the Coturri or Scholium Project getting that label.

2004 Coturri Zinfandel Freiberg Vineyard Sonoma County 16.2%
With Grafton Village Maple-smoked Cheddar (cow). Decanted 6 hours. An exotic wine made from botrytized grapes. Complex nose, very port-like, with molasses, charred coconut, acetone, forest floor and the plastic used in band aids...

Just for the record, that "band aid" smell comes from meta-cresol, a disinfectant used in Band-Aids. It's also a signature of Brett, no surprise in a Coturri wine.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:09 am

i'm proud to be a hippie, (but not from Mississippi!)
:^)
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Robert Dentice

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:26 am

by Robert Dentice » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:09 pm

Do you know for sure the Coturri had botrytized grapes? I just thought that some of the Coturri wines are sweet because they do not ferment dry.

The Naucratis is probably the one and only Scholium that I would not decant. Try the 2008 Naucratis it is amazing.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:26 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:Do you know for sure the Coturri had botrytized grapes? I just thought that some of the Coturri wines are sweet because they do not ferment dry.

Yup, the Coturri site says This is one of the most unique zinfandels that you will ever have the opportunity to taste. The reason for this phenomenon is that the fruit in this particular vineyard is affected by boytritus, or the noble rot, that give the great Sauternes of France their character. (see http://www.coturriwinery.com/order.html)

Robert Dentice wrote:The Naucratis is probably the one and only Scholium that I would not decant.

Now you tell me!

Robert Dentice wrote:Try the 2008 Naucratis it is amazing.

Will do. And nice to meet you.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

OMG....ScrewCaps???

by TomHill » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:08 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:2004 Coturri Zinfandel Freiberg Vineyard Sonoma County 16.2%
.... PS: cork not good quality, rather Swiss cheesy; Coturri should invest in better corks or go straight to screw caps (by reputation, can’t think of any producer who would benefit more from that).

TonyCoturri & screwcaps...that's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard. If'n he had his way...he'd seal his btls with an (olive)oil-soaked rag...back like they did before they discovered the utility of corks to provide a seal for wine.
But you're right...his wine would probably last better under a screwcap. But it's not agonna happen.
Nice note, Oswaldo.
Tom
no avatar
User

Robert Dentice

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:26 am

by Robert Dentice » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Thanks for the info. on the Coturri. I did not know that.