The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sancerre, Champagne, and pre-4th wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Sancerre, Champagne, and pre-4th wines

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:38 pm

We were disappointed the river jazz concert was moved inside, but the rain broke long enough for me to grill Cornish hens with a lemon/spice marinade. Wine was the 2007 Boulay Chavignol Sancerre, really a lovely expression, medium to light bodied, bright grapefruit, chalky notes. Just a hint of gooseberry, excellent length, very enjoyable. B+/A-

With pasta with a lobster tail/tarragon pink sauce 1999 Ellner "Seduction" Brut Champagne. Bigger, fuller, yeastier style of Champagne. Maybe atad coarse. B/B-

Friday we went to a potluck, a day early but we did our traditional reading of the Declaration (I blew my first try of pronouncing "usurpations"!) and enjoyed some great food -burgers, dogs, steak sandwiches, wings, assorted salads, ham, and seafood salad with grilled squid, shrimp and halibut (Betsy's offering). The hosts are AA, but welcomed us to bring wine and beer. I tried:

white
2007 Sciarpa Pinot Grigio
I thought the prosecco from this producer wasn't bad, but found this short, sweet, and uninteresting. C/C+

2007 Drouhin St Veran
Once again, clean, forward, brisk acids. Apples, citrus, soil. Great value. B+

2008 Anakena Sauvignon Blanc (Central Valley, Chile)
Grapefruit and grass, slightly sweet, rather short. B-

2007 Hogue Riesling
off dry, pear, vanilla, and ginger, low acid, not great but maybe ok for its (I assume) cheap price. C+

pink
2008 Houchart rose (Cotes de Provence)
clean, fresh, strawberries, not bad. B-

red
2005 Root 1 Cabernet Sauvignon
Cough syrup, weedy, herbal, others liked more than I. C

2007 Giovanni Rosso "Le Quattro Vigne" Dolcetto d'Alba
Good berry fruit, ripe tannins, low to medium acids. pretty good. B

2002 Franciscan Oakville Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
Black currants and red plums, some vanilla/oak issues, moderate length, soft. A revisit shows mostly oak. I expected this to be a tad better. B-

Happy 4th to all in US!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Sancerre, Champagne, and pre-4th wines

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:52 pm

Drouhin has become so consistently good across all levels that they have possibly surpassed Jadot for me. I get better low -end wines from Drouhin (e.g. St Veran, Chorey-les-Beaune) than from Jadot & the rest of the ranges stack up about equal these days.

Hogue Riesling (regular and late harvest) was one of the wines that really got me into this money-sucking hobby.
Decisions are made by those who show up