The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Low-Alcohol Wines?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hunter Daniels

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:12 am

Low-Alcohol Wines?

by Hunter Daniels » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:22 am

I was recently in London and noticed that people were not drinking the 12-15% wines that I have been accustomed to, but rather wines with around 10% alc. content. I found this concept interesting as I may like to have a few glasses of wine when out to dinner or simply during lunch on a workday, however, drinking anything with 13-15% calls for one, maybe two glasses of wine otherwise I may face trouble with the law (I admit I can get going a little too fast before noticing the red and blue lights in my mirrors), God forbid I drink any more than that when entertaining clients. I was curious if anyone has heard of wines like these being available? Are they good? Do people drink them or would I look like the 16yr old boy who can't drink the "big boy" wines like mommy and daddy? Please help me with this dilemma!

Thanks,
Hunter
Hunter D.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Low-Alcohol Wines?

by JC (NC) » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:47 am

Easy. Go for German Riesling perhaps at Spatlese level. Often 10% or less alcohol by volume. Banfi Rosa Regali
Brachetto d'Acqui (sparkling red wine) is also low in alcohol (5.5 to 7 %) Or try another brand of Brachetto that may be in a drier style. I think the torrontes grape from Argentina (a white wine grape) is low in alcohol but haven't been able to confirm it. (Just found one bottle online that is labeled 12.5% abv so not super low.) Prosecco, the Italian sparkling wine is usually less than 12% alcohol by volume. Rather than looking like an immature boy you may find yourself a trendsetter!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:56 am

So what wines did you see them drinking in London?

I am an ardent supporter of lower alcohol wines, be they German Riesling, Moscato, Bugey or just about anything else.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:07 pm

Indeed low alcohol wines (e.g. Moscato d'Asti, Bugey) are more quaffable than other high-alcohol content wines and thus are to be appreciated at a somewhat different level. I think as well of some of the low-alcohol Cavas that are now quite popular on the market. Fun wines if well made. To be taken seriously? Well thats another story altogether.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:35 pm

There was a time when even Napa Cabs were low alcohol by today's standards. I had an exquisite 1981 Louis Martini Napa Cab in 2004 that was a mere 11.8%, if you can believe that.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Hunter Daniels

Rank

Cellar rat

by Hunter Daniels » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:08 am

When in London, I noticed that they were drinking many other varieties besides just Rieslings but also other varieties that I wouldn't associate with 9 or 10%abv such as Pinot Grigio, some Shiraz, and a Portuguese wine which I believe to have been Vinho Verde.

Thanks,
Hunter
Hunter D.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:08 am

Hunter Daniels wrote:9 or 10%abv such as Pinot Grigio, some Shiraz

Interesting. 9% Shiraz. From where?

Also, who is this 'they' you are talking about in London? Your friends? People in restaurants? How many restaurants? Where?

It's quite a big city with all kinds of subcultures and different groups so I'm not sure what it means to talk about what 'they' were drinking.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:04 am

I wonder if "they" had "Spanish noses".

Sorry Hunter - that's an inside joke for me and Rahsaan.

But I would love to know how to find low alcohol Syrah.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:22 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Sorry Hunter - that's an inside joke for me and Rahsaan..

Perhaps, although it may have been to subtle for me? :?:

Unless you were referring to the Asian Spices discussion..
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:53 am

Yup
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:00 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Yup

Ok!
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:42 pm

I would be glad if this does in fact turn into a trend of sorts. I'm definitely one who can get a bit sensitive to all the extra "heat" when swallowing wines that start to cross that "above normal" threshold percentage. Otherwise I don't really pay too much attention to what precisely that percentage is. But you can "feel" it in the throat, even if you dont quantitatively know the cut-off percentage. I think I've mentioned before how "manageable alcohol" is just yet another great reason to love champagne as I know I don't ever have to worry about that excessive burn when swallowing just a 12% wine.

However, I do worry a bit that calming down red wines to more soothing alcohol levels might, ironically, be counter-productive to what I think make red wines enjoyable to begin with - the weight and textural qualities that I love so much. If we now just have manageable reds between 11-12% alcohol but with no texture or "substance", then I guess that's no good either. Oh well, I guess things cant always be ideal on all levels, especially when it comes to wine!

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:35 pm

I'm all for a return for wine with less than 13% alcohol. I've seen (with horror) several California zins that have higher alcohol than fino Sherry! Sorry, but that just ain't right.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Hunter Daniels

Rank

Cellar rat

by Hunter Daniels » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:20 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Hunter Daniels wrote:9 or 10%abv such as Pinot Grigio, some Shiraz

Interesting. 9% Shiraz. From where?

Also, who is this 'they' you are talking about in London? Your friends? People in restaurants? How many restaurants? Where?

It's quite a big city with all kinds of subcultures and different groups so I'm not sure what it means to talk about what 'they' were drinking.

There was a 9.5% Shiraz I saw in a Tescos at the check out line...two different people were purchasing it. I believe McGuigan makes it although I don't know where you could find it here in the states. But when I mention they I am speaking about various consumers in restaurants and, as I said before, in supermarkets as well. I was staying on the north side of Hyde Park and ate lunches and dinners out at various restaurants in the area. I noticed that most of the people drinking these low alcohol wines were, for the most part, from the U.K. if not from London itself. I would say I noticed this trend particularly in maybe four or five different restaurants.

Jeff, while I am with you about the fact that higher alcohol is sometimes what makes a good red wine, an "early harvest" wine sounds nice and refreshing for hot summer days as opposed to wines where they artificially pull out the alcohol.

Thanks,
Hunter
Hunter D.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:53 am

There is a brief video about this 9.5% Shiraz here http://www.isitetv.com/23755432da68528f ... l=external

It is a 'reduced-alcohol' wine -- though because of the UK's petty interpretation and over-enforcement of EU regulations McGuigans "(perhaps wisely) do not spell out their production methods."

Quote is from Jancis Robinson's 2007 article about problems selling low-alcohol wines in UK at http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/20070502_2.html