The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Goats and Sheep in the Vineyard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Goats and Sheep in the Vineyard

by Tom Troiano » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:59 am

I thought this was interesting. Does anyone know how common this is the wine business?

By Greg Latshaw, USA TODAY

In between rows of grapevines at a Mendocino County farm in California, dozens of sheep are milling about, munching on the grass and weeds.
Sarah Cahn Bennett, co-owner of the family-owned Navarro Vineyards in Philo, Calif., says they began using the flock of 70 in June to keep the vineyard trimmed and minimize the work of tractors and manual labor.

Grazing vineyards is just one application of a growing niche industry that is harnessing the eating power of animals to control invasive weeds, maintain lawns and clear fire-prone grasses. The animals are an alternative to using machinery that burns up fossil fuels or herbicides that, in some cases, can seep into groundwater.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Hunter Daniels

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Goats and Sheep in the Vineyard

by Hunter Daniels » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:05 am

While still not a usual occurrence, more and more wine growers are turning to this type of growing, especially in Napa and Sonoma Valleys. With the increasing interest in organic wines many vineyards have begun using methods like this to control their crops. It's known as biodynamics...well sort of as this is how I would describe it in its most simple form. Many growers go way beyond just having herds of sheep and goats and insectaries to control their vineyards and use strange mystic approaches. There have been many articles written about biodynamic and organic farming including a cover story by Wine Spectator in the past couple years which can help you with more information. Also I would check out the websites of wineries such as: Bonterra, Quivira, Benziger, and Frey...all use biodynamic philosophies in their production. Hope that helps!
Hunter D.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:55 am

Sheep, yes.

Goats? Never, not out in the vineyards.

Sheep are grazers. Goats eat anything and everything. Bark off trees (or vines), wood, rope, leather, paper off tin cans...everything. Goats on a biodynamic vineyard, okay. In the vineyards, never.

And by the way, throughout Mendocino and Sonoma, it's a common sight to see sheep grazing in vineyards. It's also common to have people leasing herds of sheep on local farms and on right-of-ways of roads for clearing weeds and low brush.

I think in Napa the sheep have to have licenses and be of special exotic pedigree from the lower slopes of the Pyrenees (French side, of course) before they are allowed to eat any weeds.
no avatar
User

Hunter Daniels

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:12 am

by Hunter Daniels » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:02 am

Thanks for the clarification, I suppose letting goats into the vineyards would have effects similar to those of Tuscan boars being allowed to roam free...minus the uprooting of vines.

Hunter
Hunter D.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:20 am

This past weekend we visited Warm Lake Estate on the Niagara Escarpment. They turn the soil to prevent any foliage from growing in the vineyard. He has also installed an invisible fence around the entire 40 acres and allows his dogs to patrol freely to control deer and other small, harmful critters.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Ohhhhhh....Hoke

by TomHill » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:32 am

Hoke wrote:I think in Napa the sheep have to have licenses and be of special exotic pedigree from the lower slopes of the Pyrenees (French side, of course) before they are allowed to eat any weeds.

You are sooooo bad, Hoke. You should treat your neighbors to the East w/ a little more reverence and respect!!! :-)
But funny.
Tom
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:46 am

Hoke wrote:I think in Napa the sheep have to have licenses and be of special exotic pedigree from the lower slopes of the Pyrenees (French side, of course) before they are allowed to eat any weeds.

Paging Mr. Lou Kessler... paging Mr. Lou Kessler. Please come to the white courtesy phone. :evil:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:37 pm

Clos Pepe in the Santa Rita Hills uses Olde English Babydoll sheep in the vineyards

https://www.babydollsheep.info/Babydoll_pictures.php scroll to the bottom of the page to see
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:39 pm

I've heard the same re: goats being a bad idea.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:05 pm

Indeed, turning goats loose in a vineyard might be the kiss of death. Not for the goats for they would be quite well fed, but for the vines. They start with the grapes, go on to the leaves, then the bark of the vines and then, if they're still hungry, the stalks. Almost as bad as letting feral hogs have free range in your vineyard.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:47 pm

We do have a right to work law that pertains to all working farm animals. Grazing sheep are welcome as long as they do not attempt to unionize our domestic well mannered animals. We do not allow them to eat in our restaurants like they do in Sonoma so at this time we have a paucity of sheep in Napa. Someday Sonoma may be included in the greater circle of civilized counties in CA but they will have to work harder. :roll:
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:45 pm

Mark L..be careful re what you ask for,,,you may get it.. You really didn't expect Lou to chastise or contradict Hoke, now did you?

Don't temember seeing any sheep when I visited Clos Pepe, Did see 9, if memory serves, beautiful and very well behaved dogs lolling about..
Jon
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:25 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:I thought this was interesting. Does anyone know how common this is the wine business?

By Greg Latshaw, USA TODAY

In between rows of grapevines at a Mendocino County farm in California, dozens of sheep are milling about, munching on the grass and weeds....

You'll see sheep in vineyards in New Zealand - but only at certain times of the year. They usually go straight in after harvest - lots of pasture there to fatten lambs before they go to the works. However you won't usually see them in the vineyard when the crop is on the vines. Usually from after vintage until the new seasons budburst.

You'll even see cattle (usually miniature breeds) in some vineyards too.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:54 pm

Here are a couple of photos from our files - taken in Matakana, north of Auckland.
sheep.jpg

cowinvyard.jpg

Cheers,
Sue
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:27 pm

This came through the newswires today - and is the first I've heard of sheep being in the vineyard while grapes are on the vines. Of course it is winter here now, so will be interesting to see if it works. Yealands are in the Marlborough region of New Zealand.

"Yealands introduces pint-sized sheep to his vineyards"

"With 3500 kilometres of mowing to be done every few weeks at his vineyard, winemaker Peter Yealands has come up with a new and novel way to keep the grass under control: miniature sheep.

With the goal of transforming New Zealand’s largest privately-owned vineyard into the most sustainable in the world, Mr Yealands has frequently gone right outside the box to come up with new sustainability ideas to try out.

His latest is about as far outside the box as he can get, with Mr Yealands importing special “baby-doll" sheep, which only grow to a mature height of 45-60 centimetres at the shoulder, to keep the grass trimmed while saving the fruit from grazers who may want to augment their grass-only diet."

The full article is at
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/yealands-i ... rds-105087
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:04 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:His latest is about as far outside the box as he can get, with Mr Yealands importing special “baby-doll" sheep,...

Now I'm not a fan of the usual nationalistic sheep-related humour, but really :roll: "baby doll" does rather leave the door open for the wannabe comedians. What were they thinking of when they gave them that name :?

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:54 am

I wonder if the Baby Doll's have learned how to stand on their two hind feet yet to help them reach the few remaining grape leaves hanging on the vines. They will likely make short work of grapes unless the trellising system has the fruiting shoots very high off the ground. :lol:
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:23 am

I can just hear the pickers now, as the step in some of that organic sheep shzt as they pick. :D
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:16 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I can just hear the pickers now, as the step in some of that organic sheep shzt as they pick. :D

But the pickers wil help spread the 'fertiliser' around the vineyard :lol: