The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Relagnes Chateauneuf-du-Pape

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2004 Relagnes Chateauneuf-du-Pape

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:28 am

2004 Domaine des Relagnes Chateauneuf-du-Pape La Cuvee Vigneronne 14.0%
Pleasant aromas of sour cherry and oak, followed by coffee and a hint of olives. With air, some plum emerges. Pleasing acidity, good acid/sweet balance, pleasant tannins. Alcohol slightly obtrusive, but within acceptable bounds. Delivers the goods, but a bit lacking in gee whiz-ardry.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

Re: WTN: 2004 Relagnes Chateauneuf-du-Pape

by Michael Malinoski » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks, Oswaldo. I really liked all of the CdP's from Relagnes in 2004 and have 2 bottles of this one in the cellar. I have not tasted since barrel samples, and it sounds like it would be best to continue to rest it a bit to let the oak and alchohol find better resolution. Les Petits Pieds d'Armand from '04 is another Relagnes CdP I am looking forward to trying down the road some time! By the way, it is great to see Olivier Hillaire taking over the vines from this producer since 2006. He is a great guy and the wines just keep getting better, IMO.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 2004 Relagnes Chateauneuf-du-Pape

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi, Michael, my previous two bottles - last year and the year before - showed better, so I was slightly disappointed (maybe it was I who changed, or it was a different shape of glass, or my mood last night was different, etc.).

The wood seemed well integrated. Present, but as just one of the guys. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I did the previous two!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.