The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: the last Donnhoff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: the last Donnhoff

by Mark S » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:04 pm

From a stash of 3 came thee:

2003 Oberhauser Leistenberg Kabinett

This was showing a little tired compared to the last one opened about a year ago (the first one opened when it was received was wayy too young), which showed the best so far. Still, nothing to complain about, as the guanabana flavored, lightly sweet, talc-finshed wine shone pretty well, albeit with slightly deficient acid structure. B+/A- What more could one ask of a $20 wine?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: the last Donnhoff

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Guanabana?

I actually didn't much care for the 2003 Leistenberg Kabinett. More recent vintages (e.g. 2007) have been better. The 2001 was really, really fine (and still is) when you got a bottle that was not corked.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:32 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Guanabana?

Soursop.
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

by Tom V » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:51 am

:) Guanabana! Amazing, must be an adjunct to Murphy's Law. Like the number that came out last night and then the first license plate you see the next morning is that number. Never heard of Guanabana until last week when I was perusing my 1975 edition of the "Playboy's New Bar Guide" and came across a cocktail named the "Cool Guanabana". So I picked up some Guanabana nectar on Sunday and made a couple, and they were real good! Wonder if I can learn to pick out Guanabana nuances in my Donnhoffs? Na, probably not, but I do like Donnhoffs, and I do like "Cool Guanabanas!