The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NYTimes: BurntRubber In SouthAfrica Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

NYTimes: BurntRubber In SouthAfrica Wines

by TomHill » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:39 pm

Rather interesting article in today's NYTimes:

NYTimes: BurntRubber
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: NYTimes: BurntRubber In SouthAfrica Wines

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:59 pm

Interesting. I've always thought the burnt rubber thing was indicative of Pinotage, not just SA in general. And that certainly dates back more than a couple of years.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:01 pm

Already under discussion at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25120 Interestingly, I've not (nor has Peter May) found that typical of Pinotage.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:37 pm

The NYT story mentioned that 28% of South African wine exports go to Britain and just 5% to the US. The range of South Africa wines available in the US always has seem very limited to me.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:55 pm

I would have said "band-aids" or "latex." I guess a lot of people say "acetone" or "nail-polish remover." I hear "paint" is big in the UK. Anyway, I would have expected it from cheap pinotage. Not from the good stuff, though. Vergelegen and Warwick make good pinotage; there are lots of others, that's just off the top.

Speaking of rubber: I remember a vintage of Big House Red from 7-8 years ago that had a lot of nebbiolo in it (you know how Grahm loved to play with blends), and upon opening, it gave the strong and unmistakable aroma of the interior of a brand new automobile tire. "Give it air," we advised customers. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:56 am

Agreeing on what we are talking about is part of the problem:

My opinion is that band-aid, acetone/nailvarnish and burned rubber are not the same.

Band aid is a frequently used descriptor for brett that can affect any wine and is not specific to any variety

Acetone/nail varnish is related to Pinotage and did affect some Pinotages until the cause -- fermentation temperature -- was discovered by Pinotage Association research and this should be at hing ofthe past.

Burned rubber: its not clear is this is same as what some people call 'earthyness'; again it is not specific to any variety. Some have suggested that is is caused by a particularly virulent South African strain of brett but scientific tests are so far inconclusive as to the cause.

For the record, Vergelegen do not make Pinotage.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:09 am

I certainly don't have a fraction of Peter's knowledge of SA wines. But when we did a blind tasting that included 2 inexpensive Pinotages, I guessed both of them (Bon Cap and Golden Kaan) as Pinotage based on the odor I consider burnt rubber (the Bon Cap was especially "drag raceway"). Certainly not a scientific sample, but it fit with my prejudices. All I can say is that a significant percentage of the couple dozen Pinotages I've tried seem to have it. I don't remember encountering in the couple inexpensive SA Cabs I've tried, nor in the premium Meerlust Rubicon or Toren Fusion V.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:12 am

I've found "burnt rubber" a frequent culprit in South African reds over quite a few years, and have definitely encountered it in Cabs and Merlots. not just Pinotage. I've always considered it a flaw and never believed that it was "terroir," a position that's caused some forum arguments. ;) Just my opinion, but I'd think it's almost certain to involve some kind of sulfur compound.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:43 am

The Simonsig Pinotage tasted strongly-overwhelmingly-of bandage. But, a local Napa "Bordeaux Blend" we sampled this Spring had the same weird acetone-plasticky-badaid taste and smell-in two bottles. So, it may not be just South Africa.

I have a bottle of Warwick Reserve Cab (2001) which I hope avoids the problem.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach