The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Claret Tasting, Bordeaux with Dinner, & More

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Claret Tasting, Bordeaux with Dinner, & More

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:55 am

Thursday Night Crowd at Wine Styles, we did a "Claret Tasting with a mix of wines from the shop and our cellars.

2000 Pontet Canet Pauillac. Quickly decanted, but still pretty closed. Dark, savory, meaty wine with plenty of earth, tobacco, leather. Tannins are not obtrusive, but they are keeping the fruit somewhat reticent. Still, my wine of the night. What is wrong with me if I like even CLOSED Bordeaux? :twisted:

2003 Cliff Lede Claret Stag's Leap. I provided this. Bleh. Poor tasting order-this is about as different (and not in a good way) as can be from the Potet Canet. Super sweet, prominent oak, somewhat hot. Cliff Lede seems to make wines contra-vintage...the 2003s are sweet and ripe, the 2004s were somewhat green and tight. Weird. The only wine which did not get finished Thursday night.

2006 Bell Claret (Yountville, Napa Valley). One of those under-the-radar wineries that keeps doing their own thing. They tend to the austere and old world in style, and this wine, despite its youth, was quite lean and savory and almost elegant. My #2 wine of the night-very impressive!

1981 Shown and Sons Cabernet Sauvignon Rutherford. From Pete, who sadly recently inherited his father's cellar. Quite thin at this point, it still showed some interesting green pepper and mint notes. Many tasters found quite a bit of tobacco on the palate as well. Probably a fantastic wine a decade ago, and it was fascinating to have a chance to taste such a venerable wine!

2003 Miner Family "The Oracle" Bordeaux Blend. My disappointment of the night, as past experiences with their wines have found them savory and balanced. This was much nicer than the Cliff Lede in balance and overall tone, but still too SWEET SWEET SWEET.

2006 Quercus Rubra. Local (Suisun Valley) blend made by a neighbor three blocks away! Sweet, high acidity, and a crowd favorite. We also sampled from the barrel his forthcoming 2007 "Vitus" blend (Oakville grapes), and it will be structured, balanced, and savory rockstar of a wine.

2001 Chateau Gloria St. Julien. This chateau gets severely mixed reviews that warn of harsh tannins. I decanted for four hours and, with Joe's smoked tri-tip and corn on the cob, this wine was wine of the week. It was in a very nice place, with everythign I like about Bordeaux. Nice black currant fruit, plum, cherry, tons of leather, pencil shavings, and tobacco. Lifted palate with plenty of acidity and lovely, lovely savoryness. The Pontet Canet may be the better wine (especially in five-to-ten years) but right here, right now, the Gloria was beautiful. I love Bordeaux!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: Claret Tasting, Bordeaux with Dinner, & More

by Mark S » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:11 am

Brian K Miller wrote:... What is wrong with me if I like even CLOSED Bordeaux?

Uh...incorrigible?? :wink:

2006 Bell Claret (Yountville, Napa Valley). One of those under-the-radar wineries that keeps doing their own thing. They tend to the austere and old world in style, and this wine, despite its youth, was quite lean and savory and almost elegant. My #2 wine of the night-very impressive!

This sounds more like my style of New World wine, from a producer I've never heard of before. Do you know how many cases they make and the cost?

Mark
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:57 am

Mark: They are not a large production winery, they make about 2,000 cases of the Claret, which is their "drink now" wine and it is modestly priced ($25-30)

In looking at their site, they have a pretty extensive library vintages program for their more prestige labels (the Napa Valley Cabernet bottling) http://www.bellwine.com/
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:2001 Chateau Gloria St. Julien. [/b] This chateau gets severely mixed reviews that warn of harsh tannins. I decanted for four hours and, with Joe's smoked tri-tip and corn on the cob, this wine was wine of the week. It was in a very nice place, with everythign I like about Bordeaux. Nice black currant fruit, plum, cherry, tons of leather, pencil shavings, and tobacco. Lifted palate with plenty of acidity and lovely, lovely savoryness. The Pontet Canet may be the better wine (especially in five-to-ten years) but right here, right now, the Gloria was beautiful. I love Bordeaux!

Cool! Thanks. I'll try to drink one this weekend.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:45 pm

Well....I lack experience with Bordeaux (heck, I lack experience in anything but painfully young lesser California Cabernet), so your mileage might vary. :)

Have to admit I tried to Google for local bottles of the 2001 in the hopes of finding more. K&L Wines (the go-to shop for Bordeaux in San Francisco) has some 1995, I recall. Oh well. :(
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:14 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Well....I lack experience with Bordeaux (heck, I lack experience in anything but painfully young lesser California Cabernet), so your mileage might vary. :)

Have to admit I tried to Google for local bottles of the 2001 in the hopes of finding more. K&L Wines (the go-to shop for Bordeaux in San Francisco) has some 1995, I recall. Oh well. :(

It doesn't, Brian, it won't be my first one; you just reminded me. :) I like it a lot. The 1996 is great (regardless of what anybody else says), if you can find one. So's the 2003. The 1995 lacked a little character in comparison, but it was classic. Had a '59 not to long ago. Transformational.

Disclaimer: ethical opinions are just that.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:09 pm

Hello Brian,

Been meaning to ask: how much longer do you think the Pontet-Canet needs? I was planning on opening one of mine in 2015, but based on your note and others I've seen, I wonder if even that will be too early.

Thanks,
Ryan
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:31 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:Hello Brian,

Been meaning to ask: how much longer do you think the Pontet-Canet needs? I was planning on opening one of mine in 2015, but based on your note and others I've seen, I wonder if even that will be too early.

Thanks,
Ryan

Not sure. Don't get me wrong, I really LIKED the P-C...it just depends on how much time you can decant it and your tolerance for tannins.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Unless I specifically want to open a long-haul wine young, I'm not a big fan of decanting, and prefer to just to let them cellar longer. That said, I would want to catch it on first pass in its relative youth, i.e., somewhat before it hits full maturity. Now, if I wasn't a grad student and could afford more than the two bottles I have, I'd be opening one next year . . . . anybody care to arrange me having a taste? :D
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:17 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Thursday Night Crowd at Wine Styles, we did a "Claret Tasting with a mix of wines from the shop and our cellars.

2000 Pontet Canet Pauillac. Quickly decanted, but still pretty closed. Dark, savory, meaty wine with plenty of earth, tobacco, leather. Tannins are not obtrusive, but they are keeping the fruit somewhat reticent. Still, my wine of the night. What is wrong with me if I like even CLOSED Bordeaux? :twisted:

It says that you have excellent taste!!!

Brian K Miller wrote:2003 Miner Family "The Oracle" Bordeaux Blend. My disappointment of the night, as past experiences with their wines have found them savory and balanced. This was much nicer than the Cliff Lede in balance and overall tone, but still too SWEET SWEET SWEET.

Very interesting... I am a self-confessed and widely-known Miner slut.. but I just checked my CT notes, and though I have 2 bottles of this, I've never tasted it. I will have to rectify that, to see if this is somehow an anomaly among The Oracles, as I have recently found the 2001 and the 2004, especially the latter, to be outstanding.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:14 pm

I'm not sure if it was a particularly odd kind of bottle variation, Jim, as I had never found The Oracle a particularly "sweet" wine in past tastings. Certainly not the newer vintages. :?