The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: In which I drink something other than Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: In which I drink something other than Riesling

by Salil » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:57 am

2006 Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis 'Montmains' 1er Cru
Very clear, pale yellow-green colour with lovely, gentle aromas of chalk, lemon peel, pear and seawater. Dry and focused in the mouth with bright acidity and flavours of green apple and citrus fruits layered over chalky minerals and a faint woody note. Finishes clean with medium length, very refreshing.

2005 Nobilo Icon Pinot Noir (Marlborough, NZ)
Much bigger and riper than what I'd expect from a Marlborough Pinot; very deep red with intense aromatics of violets, rose petals, cinnamon and red fruited flavours. Feels quite extracted and dense in the mouth with candied cherry and strawberry flavours over spices and smoky oak notes, finishing with some heat on the back end. Quite a frustrating wine; I loved the aromatic profile here and kept thinking with every sip that if the ripeness/oak in the mouth was dialed back a bit, I'd have enjoyed this so much more.

2007 Steve Bird 'Big Barrel' Pinot Noir Old Schoolhouse Vineyard (Marlborough, NZ)
This on the other hand did it just right - pretty floral notes, cinnamon and red fruits on the nose like the Nobilo, but here it's all presented in a silky, elegant package with bright acidity giving it lift and absolutely no sign of the 14.5% alcohol indicated (the Nobilo was 13.5 but felt a bit hotter). And it's under screwcap, and really reasonably priced.

2003 Château Fleur de Bouard Lalande-de-Pomerol
Really elegant and well balanced, with none of the jamminess or other signs of massive ripeness I feared considering the vintage. Lovely flavours of dark fruits, cedar wood, graphite, herbs and leather on the nose and palate, very rich and concentrated in the mouth but lifted by surprising acidity with fairly firm, chewy tannins underneath. Finishes with good length; very enjoyable both on its own and with food.

2003 Château Prieuré-Lichine
This on the other hand... oh god. Tiring and unpleasant to drink with roasted black fruit flavours, copious oak and softer notes of caramel and plum jam. Flabby and dense in the mouth with almost no acidity to provide balance and an awkward finish with the oak and some alcoholic warmth sticking out.

2006 Wynns Coonawarra Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 'Black Label
I hate how hard it is to find this wine; this rarely ever shows up on shelves outside Australia (thanks Foster's marketing, you muppets) and it's frustrating as I've only had great experiences with Wynns and find the Black Label a ridiculous value - perhaps the best value red I've ever bought, with a ton of complexity and structure almost every vintage at an absurd price point.
This is no different. Intense aromatics of black cherries, currants, earth, herbs and cedar wood, rich and full bodied in the mouth with dark fruited flavours mingled with savoury cocoa and forestal earthy notes. Underneath there's a ton of structure with good acidity giving it lift and firm, furry tannins that soften a little bit with a few hours in the decanter. This (like most other Wynns Cabs) is built for the long haul. Ridiculous value with far more depth, structure and complexity than I've found in any red wine even near this price point (around 20 AUD/15 USD).
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: In which I drink something other than Riesling

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:22 pm

Did someone else open these wines for you!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:44 pm

I'll never get into the hipster geek club once I say this, but I really like the Fleur de Bouard wines. I have not had the 2003, but the '00 and '01 have been really good.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:06 am

Rahsaan wrote:Did someone else open these wines for you!

Most of them, the Bird PN and the Wynns Cab (a favourite of mine... if I can find it!) were mine. 03 Bordeaux (heck, almost any Bordeaux) is rarely in my drinking queue but that Fleur du Bouard really was an eye-opener and a pleasure. I'll keep an eye out for some of those vintages here David, thanks for those recs.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:38 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I have not had the 2003, but the '00 and '01 have been really good.

David - I have two bottles of the '01 - would you recommend drinking relatively soon or can they hold longer?
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Great notes, Salil, thanks!

My wife and I tasted the 2003 Prieure-Lichine at the Chateau a few years back alongside the 2004, and we both immediately gravitated toward the '04, for a lot of the same negative reasons you specify regarding the '03. We did like the Blanc from '03, though, which wouldn't seem to make sense. We have a final bottle and plan to drink it this summer--who knows where it will be at that time?

Thanks for the note on the Steve Bird. A good friend of mine has the same name, so I used to buy a bunch of the Thornbury wines he made. But I have not tasted anything from his own label yet and really need to. I ought to start with this one!

-Michael
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:33 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I have not had the 2003, but the '00 and '01 have been really good.

David - I have two bottles of the '01 - would you recommend drinking relatively soon or can they hold longer?

I would enjoy them. I have seen little development in htese wines, so I would prefer to hit them now rather than wait for them to fall off the fruit cliff.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:05 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I would enjoy them. I have seen little development in htese wines, so I would prefer to hit them now rather than wait for them to fall off the fruit cliff.

Will do, David....and thanks for the birthday wishes!