The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Ridge Lytton Estate Late Harvest

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

WTN: 2000 Ridge Lytton Estate Late Harvest

by Tom Troiano » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:13 pm

2000 Ridge Lytton Estate Late Harvest (93% Zinfandel, 1.8% residual sugar by weight)

The back label says that the grapes in this wine were originally intended for Zin Essence but the grapes did not achieve the extreme sugar levels needed. The wine is made from fruit from both Lytton Estate and Lytton West. On the nose lots of blueberry/raspberry fruit, Draper perfume, cedar, road tar and tobacco. On the palate more sweet blueberries/raspberries, some heat and low tannins. The nose is probably the highlight here. This wine isn’t overly complex and not likely to improve much over time.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2000 Ridge Lytton Estate Late Harvest

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:25 pm

I usually enjoy the aromatics of good late harvest zins. The flavors end up being a bit over the top for me. Ridge is (predictably) one of my preferred producers of that style, though I did not get the 2000 (bought some 2001 Essence wines).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: WTN: 2000 Ridge Lytton Estate Late Harvest

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:31 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I usually enjoy the aromatics of good late harvest zins. The flavors end up being a bit over the top for me. Ridge is (predictably) one of my preferred producers of that style, though I did not get the 2000 (bought some 2001 Essence wines).

I finished my batch of Essence (not sure which vintage, but they were purchased at the winery 4 years ago), and I agree with preferring aromatics over taste.
Diane