The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Travel, these days...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Travel, these days...

by Hoke » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:53 pm

As frustrating as it usually can be, travel can also be rather amazing these days.

Case in point:

Got on a plane in San Francisco, flew direct to Charles de Gaulle, walked across the terminal to the TGV station, stepped aboard a train to Lyon and stepped off about two hours later in Lyon Part Dieu. Was in my Lyon hotel within five minutes of arrival.

Though long the flight was not as excruciating as it could have been, since the gate lady took pity and swiched me from a middle seat to an aisle seat with no seat in front---plenty of leg room and easy access, and a pleasant and not overly large couple next to me.

The TGV was smooth bliss---and I was in Classe 2, by the way, being cheap. Great seat, great view, well behaved people, and right next to the bar car.

So like I said: sometimes travel can be frustrating; sometimes it really can be amazing.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Travel, these days...

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:10 am

Hoke wrote:right next to the bar car..

What did you drink to toast your arrival?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:13 am

Hoke wrote:sometimes travel can be frustrating; sometimes it really can be amazing.

I agree. As someone who does a decent amount of travelling but doesn't necessarily get to do things first-class the whole way, I have indeed been faced with more than a few frustrations.

But I too marvel at how smoothly and interconnected things can be. I love booking things on the internet, without paper, and using the same credit card all over the world. No cash. Travelling light.

Of course I don't actually travel light and I do use cash, but I love the light and cash-less aspects of the journey.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:38 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Hoke wrote:right next to the bar car..

What did you drink to toast your arrival?

At that point, Rahsaan, it was the espresso in the bar car I was most interested in. But the following day I made up for it with a bottle of La Turque (among others) and three Condrieus with Yves Cuilleron.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:37 am

Hoke wrote:The TGV was smooth bliss---and I was in Classe 2, by the way, being cheap. Great seat, great view, well behaved people, and right next to the bar car.

Yes, the Paris-Lyon TGV (and likely the others, too) is a very nice way to travel. The bar car also serves a quite decent breakfast that I've availed myself of on occasion (coffee, croissant and fruit -- yum!). I'll also put in a plug for the Eurostar, which I've taken from London-Paris and back. Even more cushy than the TGV, very fast (2 hr 20 min one way) with a power outlet at every seat (very important for those of us who travel with laptops) and another very well provisioned bar car. And 1st class on the Eurostar -- ooh la la! The only (minor) hitch for travelers to Lyon is that Eurostar puts you into Gare du Nord and the TGV for Lyon departs -- naturally enough -- from Gare de Lyon, requiring transit via Metro or taxi between the two stations.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Hoke wrote:But the following day I made up for it with a bottle of La Turque (among others) and three Condrieus with Yves Cuilleron.

Oh yes, I'm sure the trip was not lacking in wine. Sounds great.. :D
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:And 1st class on the Eurostar -- ooh la la!

Indeed, and sometimes not very much more expensive than 2nd class. I once booked it by accident and was pleasantly surprised.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:38 pm

Mark, I'm a big fan of the EuroStar. My wife and I took it a few years ago, and we loved it. It's the way to travel!

We tubed in from Kensington Gardens, got off, changed floors to the EuroStar, rode in exactly the comfort you described, and stepped of in the Gare at Paris, and were taxied to our hotel in short order. From London to Paris, or vice versa, it's the way to go.

And I've heard they've actually improved the trip since we took it, with the upgrade of the originally slow stretch through all the little villages of Englad being speeded up.

The TER, from Avignon to Marseille, in contrast, was just as efficient, and had the older-styled cabins rather than the open seating. While okay, it wasn't as spiffy, and certainly not quite as clean, as the TGV. On the other hand, I was in a compartment with three lovely ladies who had thoughtfully gone to the Avignon market and came laden with Champagne, cheeses, bread, and some wonderful spiced olives, so I wasn't exactly suffering on that leg either.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:20 pm

When the stars are in alignment, it can indeed be an amazing experience. (Unfortunately, I seem to get crossed stars more often than not.)
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child