The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An attractive, young Chateauneuf-du-Pape

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: An attractive, young Chateauneuf-du-Pape

by Saina » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:12 pm

Domaine Juliette Avril Chàteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge 2007 14,5% abv; Grenache 75%, Syrah 20%, Mourvèdre 5%; 19,87€

Aged mostly in tank but 10% goes into big oak casks. This has quite a heady scent, nicely lifted yet very ripe and sweet. But it doesn't cross the line where I feel it goes from a nice ripeness into jammy over-ripeness even though it is near that boundary. Attaching specific aromas to scents in wine is always risky, but about a year ago I had a moment of revelation where I realized that unspoofulated Grenache and S. Rhône blends smell and taste like physalis peruviana. It's not a very well known berry - at least in Finland - so here is the Wikipedia page on the berry, just in case someone was wondering what I was talking about. To put it briefly, the scent was very nice, primary but unspoofulated, reminding me a bit of Texier's S. Rhônes in its purity.

The palate was a bit on the soft side, however. Yes, there is enough tannin and grip to keep up with the youthful, ripe fruit, but I do miss the refreshing raciness of Texier. This is a minor point as it is balanced and, as some here might know, there is never too much acidity in wine so I always miss it ;) Another slight point that tempers my enthusiasm is the slight (but again not worrisome) heat on the finish from the high alcohol. Once again, to sum up and to be as brief and laconic as Tolstoy, this was one the edge of my comfort zone when it comes to ripeness, but gladly it didn't cross that boundary so I found much to like. And though it doesn't seem structured to age decades, I think in the near and medium term this should make a very enjoyable Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: An attractive, young Chateauneuf-du-Pape

by Rahsaan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:03 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I had a moment of revelation where I realized that unspoofulated Grenache and S. Rhône blends smell and taste like physalis peruviana

You find this aroma to be peculiar to Southern Rhone grenache? I think a lot of crisper wines (i.e. the unspoofulated Grenache) can have vegetal vitamin notes which might remind one of physalis. Although I guess the added Southern Rhone sweetness might nail it pretty closely.
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

by Nigel Groundwater » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:56 am

Thanks for the TN Otto. I have noted your physalis peruviana comment and will see if I can experience that aroma next time I drink it or any other Rhone Grenache-based wine.

I have had a couple of past vintages [05 & 06] of this wine and both would fit within your experience.

Bearing in mind its youth my memory is of an easy drinking CdP with enough taste and structure to make we wish I had bought some more particularly since it didn't cost much more than one of the better CdRs.

Unfortunately my supplier stopped stocking it [apparently a much larger concern started pricing it even lower] so I don't have the 2007 to try. A very pleasant wine and a good QPR but in the second division rather than the first as its price would suggest - not that you were suggesting it was anything else!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:52 pm

Rahsaan, mostly in the S. Rhone Grenache, yes, though I have had some Aussie GSM blends that showed it to some degree, too. Vegetal, vitamin is pretty much it with the sweetness added to it.

Nigel, "second division" wines can be great fun - especially since there isn't the guilt of opening one too young (important for those of us with no cellar). Doesn't Leon Stolarski import them any more?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

by Nigel Groundwater » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:25 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Nigel, "second division" wines can be great fun - especially since there isn't the guilt of opening one too young (important for those of us with no cellar). Doesn't Leon Stolarski import them any more?

I agree and my comment was certainly not intended to be dismissive. Good, top of the second division wines are amongst my regular drinkers.

I was referring to Leon and while he still stocks some of their wines AFAIK not the CdP anymore.