The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Veronique, I am in love. My passion for your Muscadet!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Veronique, I am in love. My passion for your Muscadet!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:42 am

I read somewhere last night that Muscadet is not considered "chic" enough for many punters. How many winelists have you seen that might feature a Musky to match-up with some shellfish? We just don`t know what we are missing! The wines from the Chereau-Carre/Gunther family are well-known to many here so here is a note on the latest tasting.

WTN: `05 Muscadet Ch.du Coing de St. Fiacre, Veronique Chereau-Gunther.

Think this is my third bottle, 12% alc, $20 Cdn, good natural cork, opened for an hour.

Color. Medium straw verging on a light lemon maybe. Tough lighting this time around.

Nose. Classic with sea-shells/minerally. Freshly grated lemon zest, fresh, floral, youthful.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel entry thoughts are off-dry, has some "creamy" tones (maybe from the sur lie?). Excellent acidity, ripe apple and some pear. I find some slate element here, zesty, think marginally better than the Cormeraie I posted on the other day? Lots of structure here, nice weight, thoroughly enjoyable. Great match with pan-fried shrimp in a lemon parsley butter sauce. Anastasia thought "quite easy to drink..expected it to be drier". I tried to explain that the enamel teeth stripping days are over!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Veronique, I am in love. My passion for your Muscadet!

by Rahsaan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:45 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:How many winelists have you seen that might feature a Musky to match-up with some shellfish?

Quite a few, but then I exercise serious bias in choosing the restaurants I decide to frequent.

Anastasia thought "quite easy to drink..expected it to be drier". I tried to explain that the enamel teeth stripping days are over!

I think they still make those wines. But luckily there are plenty of other producers making good wine, with more than enough to export!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:16 pm

Musky?? :shock:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:19 pm

Musky? Bob Parsons Alberta slang!! They do not talk like that in Banff where you are headed David.