The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2008 Langtry Sauvignon Blanc, 2005 Hess

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2008 Langtry Sauvignon Blanc, 2005 Hess

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:56 am

2008(???) Langtry Sauvignon Blanc. Guenoc Valley, Lake County, CA. Quite bright and citrusy with a clean palate and no hint of alcohol. Quite sweet, which is something I don't mind on a light, crisp wine like this. Solid 86 points.

2005 Hess Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon. May be entering its drinking window now, although further bottle age would be quite appropriate. Tannins are beginning to soften. Rather restrained wine...this is not a "fruit bomb." Some oak on the nose and palate, but not too obtrusive. On the palate, all about the black currant mountain fruit; some argued that it could use more fruit, but I like the restrained character. John Chandler said that one thing he liked about the wine is that it "tastes like a cabernet" rather than the generic-flavored "red wine" that some Napa producers sell. :mrgreen: In light of that comment, I also get quite a whiff of herbaceousness-green pepper even, but not obtrusively so and others did not find this so evident. definitely some structure, but softening to drinkability now. Quite impressive long, savory finish. Overall, a very fine-drinking Napa Mountain cab that is beginning to show its stuff. I would rate it 90 points right now. We might try to do this as a vertical with a 2002, 2003, and 2004 from my cellar.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach