The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Fine V.N. Asinone, chameleon Arbois Savagnin, Cairanne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Fine V.N. Asinone, chameleon Arbois Savagnin, Cairanne

by Tim York » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:37 am

Côtes du Rhône Villages Cairanne “Cuvée Prestige” 2000 – Domaine de l’Oratoire Saint-Martin, Alc. 13.5%, a Grenache dominated blend, used to be a luscious and complex Southern Rhône but, on the evidence of this bottle, is darkening and drying out; still quite enjoyable; 15/20.

Arbois “Grand Elevage” Vieilles Vignes Savagnin 2002 – Rijckaert – Alc. 13%. It was remarkable how this wine showed different facets according to the pairing. In a cod dish, there was a badly interacting ingredient, garlic I think, which brought out a disagreeable cabbage notes which smacked of oxidation (not sought by Rijckaert). However with goat cheese and a mature Beaufort, these notes disappeared entirely and bracing acidity, bright minerals and a racy tangy body of Savagnin fruit remained; with the cod 13/20; with the cheese 16.5/20++.

Vino Nobile di Montepulciano “Asinone” 2000 – Poliziano – Alc.14%, Sangiovese dominated, was the wine of the week. Sweeter fruited than often, full bodied, round and complex but retaining enough Sangiovese tang and leather notes together with a delicious oiliness for its Tuscan class to show through; my wine of the week; 17/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Fine V.N. Asinone, chameleon Arbois Savagnin, Cairanne

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:01 am

Tim York wrote:Côtes du Rhône Villages Cairanne “Cuvée Prestige” 2000 – Domaine de l’Oratoire Saint-Martin, Alc. 13.5%, a Grenache dominated blend, used to be a luscious and complex Southern Rhône but, on the evidence of this bottle, is darkening and drying out; still quite enjoyable; 15/20.

Arbois “Grand Elevage” Vieilles Vignes Savagnin 2002 – Rijckaert – Alc. 13%. It was remarkable how this wine showed different facets according to the pairing. In a cod dish, there was a badly interacting ingredient, garlic I think, which brought out a disagreeable cabbage notes which smacked of oxidation (not sought by Rijckaert). However with goat cheese and a mature Beaufort, these notes disappeared entirely and bracing acidity, bright minerals and a racy tangy body of Savagnin fruit remained; with the cod 13/20; with the cheese 16.5/20++.

Vino Nobile di Montepulciano “Asinone” 2000 – Poliziano – Alc.14%, Sangiovese dominated, was the wine of the week. Sweeter fruited than often, full bodied, round and complex but retaining enough Sangiovese tang and leather notes together with a delicious oiliness for its Tuscan class to show through; my wine of the week; 17/20.

Yipes. Showed better than my 2001! I am wondering, though, if it was MY fault for finding it over the hill. And, repeating myself, we all finished the bottle. (Better tangy, over the hill sangio than sweet spoof juice! :mrgreen: )
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:41 am

Interesting, Brian. I would expect a 2001 to be more age-worthy than a 2000 with better structure and less sweet fruit. I know that I have some 99 and maybe also some 01 but I will have to search for it in my chaotic cellar.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:55 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Yipes. Showed better than my 2001! I am wondering, though, if it was MY fault for finding it over the hill. And, repeating myself, we all finished the bottle. (Better tangy, over the hill sangio than sweet spoof juice! :mrgreen: )

... or the bottle/vintage's fault for not being up to scratch. Lots of possible answers.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster