The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Wellington Cab '04

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

TN: Wellington Cab '04

by John Treder » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:17 pm

I headed up to Sonoma County back in April, and for a change I turned east and hit a few wineries near Glen Ellen. Though I've only been there a couple of times, the folks at Wellington Vineyards said they remembered me - perhaps it's that I was there very early and no one else was around. 8) I think I tasted anything they had open and they did open a couple more for me. One thing they sold me on was this cab at 40% off retail, and I bought half a dozen to get the discount and fill up a full case.
I had some leftover roast beef from Sunday, and no leftover wine, and this seemed like a good idea - it was a beautiful day today, got up to about 80 and the breeze came up in the afternoon. Leftover reheated cross-rib roast, rice pilaf with lots of cumin and coriander, broccoli with a hint of mint, and apricot pie (from the tree next door) for dessert.
Thoroughgoing Sonoma CalCab. Lots of leaves and stems, ripeness offset by tannins, great food wine. A steal at the price and worthy of trying for some real age. Got 5 more, woo-hoo! 13.9% alcohol. Bought at the winery $12 @ 40% off. Would have been a good buy at full price.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: TN: Wellington Cab '04

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:18 pm

What a steal!

They are nice people. I have one bottle of their Bordeaux Blend (Victory, I think???)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: TN: Wellington Cab '04

by John Treder » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:24 pm

I agree, they are nice people, as is Loxton next door.
Yes, their blend is "Victory". Makes sense given the winery name and early 19th century associations.
I also bought a couple of bottles of their '06 Grenache which is good now and will be better in a year or two. (Says he hopefully)
I finished the bottle tonight - a little softer as is usual in my experience, but no change in the balance, which I take as a positive.

John
John in the wine county