The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1996 Ridge Lytton Springs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 1996 Ridge Lytton Springs

by Jenise » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:24 pm

A friend was doing a mixed grill BBQ for 12 to honor his best bud's birthday, and I took a magnun of 1996 Ridge Lytton Springs Zinfandel to the party. The quality of this superb bottle caused me to pause and think about how many wines we drink that are a little too young or a little too old, and how few we hit Just Right. Because this one was Just Right. Good color, on the taupe-y side of purple congruent with it's age. On the nose, a sweet scent (what some call the Draper Perfume, I guess) that was lightly floral along with pencil shavings and plummy fruit. On the palate, more plums, a brief hint of raspberry jam, and tobacco. Enough acidity and tannin to be lively but resolved enough to be relaxed and more classy/elegant than most of my friends had ever imagined zinfandel could be. In fact, blind, it would have taken some doing to ID this as zinfandel. Truly an outstanding and memorable bottle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1996 Ridge Lytton Springs

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:22 pm

Harumph. All my 1996s are gone.

Guess I will have to settle in for some 1997s. :mrgreen:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Boo hiss on you, luck boy. :) This was my last one. I have always gravitated toward Geyserville and that is what I tend to buy when faced with options, but this bottle sure made me question my one-sided thinking. It's not like I don't know how great the Lytton Springs wines are.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:40 pm

Lytton Springs was one of my epiphanies with red wines. I have one in the frig now to open in the next couple weeks (a 2001? will have to look when I get home.) First I need to finish a Rossignol Volnay and open a 2006 Cote de Brouilly to see if I want to order more.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Ohhhhhh...

by TomHill » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:18 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Harumph. All my 1996s are gone.
Guess I will have to settle in for some 1997s. :mrgreen:

I feel your pain, David. I finished up the last of my '71's last week!!! :)
Tom
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Always one of my favorite zins, Jenise.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:51 pm

'96 Lyttons are long gone here, but I've had 1 or 2 thanks to friends over the last few years. From magnum would seem to be the optimum way to enjoy one of these, so bonus for you, Jenise! Still have a '96 Geezer and 1 or 2 '97s of the same, which are drinking beautifully right now. Just found a well stored '99 LS in a little place in Bay City, MI this weekend for $35.99. It's now resting comfortably in the cellar (no longer) from hell.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:27 pm

geo t. wrote:'96 Lyttons are long gone here, but I've had 1 or 2 thanks to friends over the last few years. From magnum would seem to be the optimum way to enjoy one of these, so bonus for you, Jenise! Still have a '96 Geezer and 1 or 2 '97s of the same, which are drinking beautifully right now. Just found a well stored '99 LS in a little place in Bay City, MI this weekend for $35.99. It's now resting comfortably in the cellar (no longer) from hell.

George do you have an alarm go off on your computer when anyone posts a thread pertaining to any wine made by Ridge? Fess Up!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:15 am

geo t. wrote:'96 Lyttons are long gone here, but I've had 1 or 2 thanks to friends over the last few years. From magnum would seem to be the optimum way to enjoy one of these, so bonus for you, Jenise! Still have a '96 Geezer and 1 or 2 '97s of the same, which are drinking beautifully right now. Just found a well stored '99 LS in a little place in Bay City, MI this weekend for $35.99. It's now resting comfortably in the cellar (no longer) from hell.

Magnum was optimum--if only because it was the best wine on the table and everybody got to have a satisfyingly full glass of a great wine at a perfect moment in it's life.

Have you rebuilt your cellar, or moved?