The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The seldom scene

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: The seldom scene

by Mark S » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:55 am

Wines you won't find in homes of every John, Dick, or Harry:

Kante, Carso, Chardonnay, 2005
...from a funny little 500ml bottle with a teeny-tiny cork (the thinnest one I've ever seen), comes this delightful little chardonnay from the Carso.
Pretty pale gold color. Nose of butter on fresh (but cold) bread, light hay, and vague citric acid notes. Very light citrus as in a ponzu sauce, limestone, snowpea with a feather touch to the finish. A beautiful wine and not overwrought at all. Interesting. Only complaint is with the price: $29. A-

Quinta do Ribeirinho, Bairrada, 1995
Amazingly still found in a lik-er store here. Dark strawberry-cherry red color. Slightly bretty, old leather on the nose. Old leather, unripe plum, a touch of clove oil. There's good acidity here (baga helps), and the 12% alcohol makes this a very food friendly wine. This is the estate of Luis Pato. B+

Antoniolo, Gattinara, 'Osso San Grato', 1999
medium maroon colored. Light cherry stick with a perfumed scent. Cherrywood, strawberry, floral notes with a dense note of pit fruit (especially apricots) on the powerfully light finish. Has a beautiful prescence and elegance. This wonderfully balances the seesaw between strength and lightness. I liked this so much I went out to purchase a couple of 2004's for the future. 13.5% A-/A

Do Ferreira, Rias Baixas, 'Rebisaca', 2006
light pale gold with a greenish glint. Light honeydew, lime essence, hops for aromas. Sharp mineral-tinged limewater. Simple, but refreshing. [75% albarino/25% treixadura] 13% B+

Chateau Puy Arnaud Maureze, Cotes de Castillon, 2004
Medium red claret color. Red fruited nose, light-medium bodied soft plummy merlot. minimal wood influence, pleasant fruit, perhaps 2-3 years evolution. Good, and excellent at $10 bottle. B+

Domaine Sainte Anne, Cotes du Rhone, viognier, 2007
Bronze gold cast. Mild orange scented flowers on the fairly muted nose. Tropical flavors on the palate, but this is plodding and a bit heavy, with noticeable 16% alcohol. Who says high alcohol wines have to come from the New World?? A disappointment, considering how much I enjoy the reds from this estate. B

Castello Romitorio, 'Romito del Romitorio', Sant Antimo rosso, 1999
"Oh Romitorio, Romitorio...repetion sounds as sweet". Yes, I've been on a minor culling mission of late, seeing what's passed the decennial mark, and this one passed muster. Color is a pretty black cherry-medium maroon red with no noticeable bricking. Mentholated cherry-straw and sun heated brick on the nose. Plummy cherry-licorice-blackcurrant with fine clay silt tannins, and a minty finish. Well made, well fruited, oak touch moderate and the cabernet does not overwhelm the sangio. A-

Domaine de la Louvetrie, Muscadet SetM, 'Le fief du Breil', 2005
I don't know why the humblest wines need to have the gosh-darned-longest names in the book. I suppose it's the type of inferiority complex that compels shorter males to become bullys, or for states like Dubai to create skyscrapers. This also has Jo Landron's name on the bottle as well, but you Muscadet aficionados knew that already. This has a saline lemon nose. Fresh lemon juice in the mouth with a salty tang, some epoxy on the finish. 12% alcohol shows through the transparency, however. Not a very expressive nose, but still pretty good. Still, doesn't beat my reference Muscadet of Clos Briords or Luneau-Papin. B+
Last edited by Mark S on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: The seldom scene

by Ian Sutton » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:58 am

What an interesting selection! Many thanks for the notes.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster