The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1994 Bordeaux at 15

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 1994 Bordeaux at 15

by Dale Williams » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:17 am

Matt organized a dinner around the 1994 Bordeaux vintage last night. Nice group of 8 gathered at Union Square Cafe. One advantage of the recession has been some better corkage deals, and $10/bottle at USC certainly qualifies as a good deal.

Ben had generously brought a starter, the 1994 Laville Haut Brion. Recently I've run across several very advanced 1994-1996 white Bdx, and Gilman has commented about same thing. I didn't detect any extraordinary oxidation here, just a light nutty note that seems right for 15. On the rounder more tropical side, a bit subdued, good not great for me despite vintage. B

We moved to the reds, doing the Right Bank first.

First Flight
1994 L'Evangile - this flight had some of the biggest divergences of opinion. I thought the Evangile a bit tight, but pretty tasty -midweight ripe red fruit, some coffee/mocha, good length, tannins only thing holding it back from outstanding. B/B+

1994 Clinet - others liked more than I (which surprised me because this was one of my WOTN when we did 1994s 5 years ago). Black and red berries, surprisingly short/clipped. B-

Second Flight
1994 Angelus - drinking quite well now, though there's enough structure to hold. Smoky, mineral, black currant and plum, very good and my second favorite of night. B+/A-

1994 Lafleur - the beast. Very solid black plum and berry fruit, but a real wall of tannins. I had written needs 15 years, Paul opined 10, so we settled for 12.5. :) B for now, but most room for improvement of night, I voted as my #3.

1994 Trotanoy - I liked a bit more than table. Minerally, crunchy red fruit, again the tannins are holding it back, but I have doubts this can age past the tannins. Drink now with steak. B

Third Flight (with main courses)

1994 Haut Brion- this is first time I ever remember an unanimous WOTN with this group. I've always liked this, but this bottle showed especially well. Dark fruit, gravel, tobacco. Tannins are present but riper/rounder than some other wines. Nice balanced package of acids, tannins, and fruit. Smooth and elegant. A-

1994 Mouton Rothschild
As much as we like teasing Frank re Mouton, I can't say this was worst wine of the night. Lead pencil, cassis, the typical refrain of tannins, no Moutonesque exoticism that I can note. B

1994 Cos D'Estournel
My notes just read "Hard hard hard." Some blackcurrant fruit, but hard tannins totally dominate. Maybe this will show well in 10+ years, but I'm not sad it is my lone bottle. B-/C+

Fourth Flight
Brian had brought a couple bonus bottles, which we tried blind with the one remaining Medoc

Blind #1
A little herbal, big tannins, some cedary oak. Big wine, needs food. 1994 Sociando Mallet B/B-

Blind #2
I really didn't care for this, a bit weedy, hard tannins, there's both green fruit and green tannins. Might have been better with meat. 1994 Reserve de Comtesse, C+

1994 Leoville Poyferre
Some others really disliked, I thought this showed as a nice if not outstanding claret. Meaty, cassis fruit, tannins just a tad tough, not great but I'd be happy with it on my dinner table on steak night. B

1997 Foreau/Clos Naudin Vouvray Moelleux
This is the regular, not the Reserve. Apples, brown sugar, some Chenin wooliness, a bit lean. Good but not great, I have to remind myself to always spend just a bit more to get the reserve, which is almost always in the great category for me. B/B+

So not so different than what I would have predicted going in. Wines mostly good but not great, all still with substantial tannins, lots of "good steak wines" but with only a couple of exceptions not any potentially stellar wines.

The appetizers were not very red Bordeaux friendly, maybe a half order of pasta would have been better, but I opted for a small portion of a main of softshelled crab with fennel and roasted peppers. Not a match, but what I felt like eating. For main I got lamb chops, with a good potato gratin and some radicchio, arugula, etc. Three out of four of my chops were tasty, one tasted totally unseasoned, very strange. Good cheese course (I had a Cowgirl Mt Tam, Grayson, and an Italian smoked sheeps cheese).

Thanks to Matt for organizing and to all for good company.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1994 Bordeaux at 15

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Still seems like it was a lot of fun. My favorite '94 is Leoville Las Cases (it's also my favorite '97). I don't seek out wines from that vintage, but the good performances have taught me not to fear tannic years. The primary example for me is 2002 which seems like an improved 1994 ot my tastes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:03 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Still seems like it was a lot of fun. My favorite '94 is Leoville Las Cases (it's also my favorite '97). I don't seek out wines from that vintage, but the good performances have taught me not to fear tannic years. The primary example for me is 2002 which seems like an improved 1994 ot my tastes.

We drank a '94 Leoville Las Cases last August, and though I thought it needed more time yet it was in a good place and I expect it to be the standout of the few 94's I own.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:19 pm

Thanks for the notes, Dale.

I have very, very few of the 1994’s, but am now happier that I bit on some of the Haut Brion then. Any comments on whether to drink now or to age further?

Ramon
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:21 pm

* 1994 Château Laville Haut-Brion Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
Pretty, light nose. Acidic, clean, sharp, touch of honeysuckle. Very pretty. Broad, long finish. I don't love white Bordeaux, but this was nice.
B/B+

* 1994 Château Clinet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
Rich, dense with good herbs. Woody high toned acidic blocky tannins. Drying finish. Black olive, black licorice. Dry
B/B+

* 1994 Château L'Evangile - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
Smooth, brawny fruit. Rich, dense. Acidic tannins. Iron & blood. Herbal with good complexity with a long finish. Nice.
B+

* 1994 Château Angélus - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
Fabulous nose. Thick, brawny, smooth, rich with black notes. Beautiful. Very complete, balanced, drinking well.
A-

* 1994 Château Lafleur - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
Some sweet notes, high toned, bright. Some tar. Very pretty with a dark streak. Good long finish Very nice. Tannic and dry with tar on the finish.
B++

* 1994 Château Trotanoy - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
Smooth, mature with herbal notes and a long fairly acidic finish. Sweet notes with dark dense black core. Licorice, olive. Bit of a hole in the middle.
B+/A-

* 1994 Château Cos d'Estournel - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe
Very nice but light. Dark streak with coffee, tar, some herbs, and an acidic tannic finish.
B+

* 1994 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
Packed, full flavored, dense, round. Some dark notes with tar, black licorice, espresso. Excellent. WOTN.
A-

* 1994 Château Mouton Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
Acidic, not up to the Haut Brion. Dense, hard, tannic. Not showing much.
B

* 1994 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
Dense with acidic notes. High toned fruit with black core. Not a lot of complexity.
B/B-

* 1994 Château Sociando-Mallet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc
Dense, tannic, young. Brick wall. Hard, angular tannins with some herb. Chunky.
B-

* 1994 Réserve de la Comtesse - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
High toned, bright with searing acidic tannins. Harsh with a long acidic finish. Don't like much.
C/C+

* 1994 Foreau Vouvray Moelleux Clos Naudin - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray
Burnt nut, caramel, sweet honey. Nutty, complex, dry, appley. Nice with a long finish. Serve with nut/apple tart.

A vintage of hard, black wines with better nose than palate. This vintage really showed itself through all the wines.

WOTN voting
Haut Brion (24--unanimous)
Angelus (12)
Lafleur (6)
Mouton (2)
Trotanoy (1)
Clinet (1)
Cos d'Estournel (1)
L'Evangile (1)
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:42 pm

Nice notes, Dale. I have absolutely no 1994 Bordeaux.

We were at USC Saturday night (I'm becoming a regular thanks to low corkage) and Joel had the lamb chops. His order was well seasoned and very tasty, albeit a tad skimpy, but the potato gratin made up for any shortcomings. Their Saturday night special was roast baby lamb which I ordered and thought was terrific. Wine for us was a CdP and these were good matches.
Diane
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:10 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:the good performances have taught me not to fear tannic years. The primary example for me is 2002 which seems like an improved 1994 ot my tastes.

I'd agree with you, at least Medoc. Since I've been drinking Bordeaux there are 3 vintages that I think of as good but where bigger tannins are the defining characteristic- 1986, 1994, 2002 (I've had quite a few 1975s, but only as they were 15+ years). For me I'd probably rank those '86 left, '02 left, '94 right, '94 left, '86 right, '02 right. To me the main thing is to know what to expect, and plan food accordingly. I can be perfectly happy with a '94 left or '02 right, but not with roast chicken.

Jenise, I haven't had in a while, but LLC is supposed to be one of the best

Ramon, maybe Matt can comment, but I'd say while drinking well now I bet 5 more years would be perfect. But you know HB ages really well, even middling 70s and 60s vintages drink well now.

Matt, nice notes, especially when you agree with me. :)
Thanks again for organizing

Diane (Long Island) wrote:We were at USC Saturday night (I'm becoming a regular thanks to low corkage) and Joel had the lamb chops. His order was well seasoned and very tasty, albeit a tad skimpy, but the potato gratin made up for any shortcomings. Their Saturday night special was roast baby lamb which I ordered and thought was terrific. Wine for us was a CdP and these were good matches.

I really liked the gratin, and the 3 seasoned chops were very good. But Paul said he got one rare, one med rare, one med, and one welldone (he ordered med rare). Sounds like an inconsistent night in kitchen. Food was basically quite good and I had a good time, but probably better for date night than offline. Next time I need to meet Betsy in city if still corkage deal I'll go for USC.
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: New Harvest Technique in '94

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:20 pm

According to Emmanuel Cruse (Cht. Dissan) '94 was the first year that Bordeaux began harvesting based on phenolic (i.e. tannin) ripeness, not on sugar levels, and that coupled with the weather may have presented some new factors for the chateaux. I am convinced that this has made a big improvement overall in the user friendly characteristics of Bordeaux, and firmly entrenched it as the world's foremost red wine. Hey, and the whites aren't too shabby either.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:05 am

Nice notes thanks.

I love the Haut Brion from that vintage, La Mission isn't too shabby either, but the vintage on the left bank is very tannic. The LLC drank a year or so ago was hard and I'm not sure it will be ready before another 10-15 years.

I have some Angelus and Pichon Lalande I haven't opened yet. We'll see, maybe they will be ready when my grandchildren graduate from college.
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Re: New Harvest Technique in '94

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:58 am

Richard Fadeley wrote:According to Emmanuel Cruse (Cht. Dissan) '94 was the first year that Bordeaux began harvesting based on phenolic (i.e. tannin) ripeness, not on sugar levels, and that coupled with the weather may have presented some new factors for the chateaux. I am convinced that this has made a big improvement overall in the user friendly characteristics of Bordeaux, and firmly entrenched it as the world's foremost red wine. Hey, and the whites aren't too shabby either.

You mean the first year Issan harvested based on phenolic ripeness? I have trouble believing that all of Bordeaux suddenly switched!
I've sat with Emmanuel at a couple dinners, charming guy.

Jacques, I thought the Angelus was pretty approachable, though it will certainly hold and maybe improve. No need to wait for grandchildren for that one.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Nice lineup, Dale. As you know my drinking experience and knowledge of Bordeaux is almost negligible (especially compared to most others here), although I've had a couple of quite enjoyable experiences with some '94s - Pichon-Baron and Lafon-Rochet in particular - and I do have something of a soft spot for that vintage, just based on the fact that the '94 Bdx I've come across at back-buying/auction sites like HDH seem a lot more reasonably priced than pretty much any other year. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a few more of those wines after those notes.
no avatar
User

Howard Sherry

Rank

Just got here

Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:50 pm

by Howard Sherry » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:11 pm

I held a tasting of Bordeaux from 1994 to 2003 about two weeks ago for our Monday night tasting group. Included was Cos d'Estounel 1994 and 1995. My bottle of the 1994 showed soft fruit and soft tannins that definitely did not dominate the wine. This bottle was purchased on release.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Welcome Howard. Glad to see you here.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:08 pm

Howard, I'll join David, good to see you, have enjoyed your posts elsewhere. This was a well stored bottle, and showed no signs of bad care in transit. No freshness issues with fruit, just big tannins. But at 15 bottles are bottles.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:16 pm

I have quite a few '94er's that aren't too shabby and won't cost you an arm and a leg to pick up on the secondary market. Off the top of my head the wine's I've tried (and enjoyed) thus far (in no particular order) -

Mouton (last bottle (circa 2007) had shut down and was bordering on monolithic - big wine - needs another 10 - 15 years on that showing)
Leoville Las Cases (my last bottle was slightly unready but the wine is of extremely good quality)
Angelus (stunning wine)
Haut-Brion (I bought one of these for not much more than $100 some years ago - it was a tad too young when I tried it (circa 2001/2) but becoming approachable at an early age and displayed the potential to become something quite special in a plush, medium-bodied style. I have not seen much of it offered (affordably) since)
Pichon Lalande (outstanding)
Sociando-Mallet (very good)
Haut-Bailly (very good)
Haut-Batailley (good to very good)

Funnily enough, I cannot recall many bad examples, except for the Figeac - out of balance, fiercely tannic, not enough fruit. 60 points on a generous day.
Cheers,

David