The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 3 Bonny Doon Cigares

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 3 Bonny Doon Cigares

by geo t. » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:58 am

Recently, Kim and I tasted three of four from the Bonny Doon "Cigare" lineup, inspired by the wines of the southern Rhone.

2008 Bonny Doon California Vin Gris De Cigare "Rose‚ Wine of the Earth," 58% Grenache, 18% Cinsault, 10% Roussanne, 7% Mourvedre, 4% Syrah, 3% Grenache Blanc, 13.6% alc., $15: Pale peach pink in color, with flavors and aromas reminiscent of dusty under-ripe strawberry, watermelon and mineral. Medium bodied, with good intensity, ample acidity and a nice finish, where the minerality lingers. This is solid, tasty dry rose‚ in the southern French style, and that's just fine by us. The red varieties are bled off in modest volumes from freshly processed grapes destined for Le Cigare Volant and Central Coast Syrah.

2007 Bonny Doon Arroyo Seco Le Cigare Blanc Beeswax Vineyard, 64% Roussanne, 34% Grenache Blanc, 14.6% alc., $22: Pale straw color, with white tree fruit and mineral on the nose, fleshing out in the mouth to take on elements of white peach and pear, along with hints of banana, lanolin and beeswax. Medium to medium full bodied, with excellent cut; rich round, well balanced and very appealing, with great presence.

Last time we had one of Bonny Doon's flagship red Le Cigare Volant, it was much more in the new world style than old. Happily, that has changed with the latest vintage.

2005 Bonny Doon California Le Cigare Volant "Red Wine of the Earth," 50% Grenache, 24% Mourvedre, 22% Syrah, 3% Carignane, 1% Cinsault, 13.5% alc., $32 (September 2009 release): Clean dark garnet in color, and very southern
Rhone-ish in style, with earthy forest floor, beet root, black plum and blackberry character shaded with hints of coffee, cola nut and more and more briar bramble as it opens. Full bodied, with a solid tannin and acid backbone that bodes well for at least five to eight years in the cellar. Had I tasted this blind, I daresay I would have thought this to be from the southern Rhone or the Languedoc. Very nice indeed, this provided some very fine Red Wings & Red Rhones mojo.

6 New Wines from Bonny Doon

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: TN: 3 Bonny Doon Cigares

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:10 am

geo t. wrote:2005 Bonny Doon California Le Cigare Volant "Red Wine of the Earth," 50% Grenache, 24% Mourvedre, 22% Syrah, 3% Carignane, 1% Cinsault, 13.5% alc., $32 (September 2009 release): Clean dark garnet in color, and very southern
Rhone-ish in style, with earthy forest floor, beet root, black plum and blackberry character shaded with hints of coffee, cola nut and more and more briar bramble as it opens. Full bodied, with a solid tannin and acid backbone that bodes well for at least five to eight years in the cellar. Had I tasted this blind, I daresay I would have thought this to be from the southern Rhone or the Languedoc. Very nice indeed, this provided some very fine Red Wings & Red Rhones mojo.

I have tried, repeatedly, to like this wine (in several vintages), but at the prices they come out at, I can always buy better wine for less money from the Rhone.

Oh well, at least they are better than the atrocities that American wine makers create in supposed imitation of the wines of Piemonte and Tuscany.
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:16 am

Bill Spohn wrote:
geo t. wrote:2005 Bonny Doon California Le Cigare Volant "Red Wine of the Earth," 50% Grenache, 24% Mourvedre, 22% Syrah, 3% Carignane, 1% Cinsault, 13.5% alc., $32 (September 2009 release): Clean dark garnet in color, and very southern

I have tried, repeatedly, to like this wine (in several vintages), but at the prices they come out at, I can always buy better wine for less money from the Rhone.

Oh well, at least they are better than the atrocities that American wine makers create in supposed imitation of the wines of Piemonte and Tuscany.

I can appreciate where you're coming from Bill; still, I couldn't help but be pleased with how much this wine has improved since last time we had it.

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:06 pm

The Cigare Volant is my favorite of all the Bonny Doons. I bought a trio a couple years back that I intended to cellar for much longer than I managed to, they were so darned good. And where I too appreciate where Bill is coming from, sometimes that extra bit of generosity that usually comes with the California package is just what the doctor ordered.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:57 pm

Re: Le Cigare Volante Rouge

It may be expensive, but it sounds quite delicious! I've had mixed experiences myself, with some tating deliciously complex and, if I may use the word "old world" and others too simple.

Thanks for the note.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:43 pm

Agree with you both, Jenise & Brian. Great minds think alike!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink:
Nunquam Spuemus