The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Gravitas, Saxenburg, Rocie della Macie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN - Gravitas, Saxenburg, Rocie della Macie

by John S » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:26 pm

Three very nice and interesting wines that I've had over the last week or two. The more I think about it, the more the Saxenburg Shiraz impressed me, although the Rocie della Macie was no slouch either.

• 2006 Gravitas Pinot Noir - New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough (6/23/2009)
    Medium brick in colour, with a nice nose of spicy cherries and a slight earthy mushroom note. A medium bodied, nicely silky palate with more cherries, strawberries, and an earthy note. Very varietally correct, very nice wine with good lift (i.e., not trying to be too rich or concentrated) that just misses an outstanding score from me. (B+)
  • 2003 Saxenburg Shiraz Private Collection - South Africa, Coastal Region, Stellenbosch (6/19/2009)
    This wine really impressed me. In a nice place now, with a very deep purple colour, and a nice nose of plums, cherries, tar and blood. A silky, sensual mouthfeel, with a medium-full bodied palate of plums, dark chocolate, smoke, iodine and slight gamy notes. A very nice cooler climate version of shiraz, more syrah than shiraz in style. (A-)
  • 1999 Rocca delle Macìe Ser Gioveto Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (6/15/2009)
    Notes from second night. Deep ruby in colour, with an interesting nose of earthy redfruits, iron and a touch of brett. Medium bodied and very smooth on the palate, though slight tannins can be felt on the back palate. Plums, chocolate dipped cherries, tar and barnyard are present. An interesting wine that has gained complexity and is in a nice place right now, but will last a few more years. (A-)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN - Gravitas, Saxenburg, Rocie della Macie

by Jenise » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:08 pm

Saxenburg! I'd forgotten all about them. The wines are gone from my cellar now, but once upon a time we had some Saxenburgs reds around that were terrific. They were that crazy-wonderful thing South African wines can be, very traditional in style and yet slightly voluptuous.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: WTN - Gravitas, Saxenburg, Rocie della Macie

by John S » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:07 am

Traditionally voluptuous - I like it! This was certainly an impressive wine.