The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A pair from Spain plus a Leitz Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

WTN: A pair from Spain plus a Leitz Riesling

by Joe Moryl » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:21 pm

A few impressions of wines that I have enjoyed during the last couple weeks:

2007 Riesling Spaetlese, Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreutz (Rheingau), Leitz:

Very light and youthful color, tiny CO2 spritz. Some lime and baby powder on the nose, more lime with guava and other tropical fruits on the palate. Quite full and succulent with a lovely sweet/sour balance. A touch of bitterness on the finish. Great value for $17, probably not a wine for the ages but who cares. 8% abv, screwcap closure.

2006 Papa Luna, DO Calatayud (Spain):

Sort of a Rhonish blend: 75% old vine Garnacha, 20% Syrah, 5% Monastrell. Made by a Scot named Norrel Robertson at a co-op: he is some sort of flying winemaker with an interest in the region. Has all the makings of an object of scorn for the Dressner groupies. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this quite a bit. Very dark ruby with just a hint of violet. Dusty cherry, graphite, hint of roses on the nose. Ripe and polished on the palate, somewhat new world but not objectionably so. Various fruits (black cherry, raspberry), bitter orange peel, good length and depth. Apparently sees a bit of oak, but this is not evident.
14% abv, $19.

2008 Monte Novo Godello, Valdesil, Valdeorras (Spain):

A lovely crisp summer white with a hint of spritz. Pale, with a fresh grassy nose. Bracing acidity and minerals with some grassy herbal notes, a hint of licorice. A bit short, but delightful summer drinking (if summer will only come!). Vina Godeval Godello has a bit more depth and richness, but this is the bottom of the Valdesil range at $11.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A pair from Spain plus a Leitz Riesling

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:56 am

That Leitz might surprise. The 2001 (a kabinett) is just starting to blossom, and some of the ostensibly "lesser" 2001 bottlings (Klosterlay and Drachenstein QbAs) are fantastic right now.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:00 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:That Leitz might surprise. The 2001 (a kabinett) is just starting to blossom, and some of the ostensibly "lesser" 2001 bottlings (Klosterlay and Drachenstein QbAs) are fantastic right now.

Are the 2001 Leitz wines as ripe as the 2007s? There is a nice balance to this wine, so yeah it might develop well, but it is so delicious now that maybe I don't care. I do have another bottle, so maybe I'll keep it around for an experiment.

Hey, have you tasted any of the Johannishof '07s? I just picked up their Rudesheimer Berg Rottland Spl.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:54 am

Joe,

The 2007s are probably a little bit "riper" for whatever that matters. If you only have one more bottle I would enjoy it while it's so immediately pleasurable. Let's face it, cellaring wines is not a 100% proposition.
Decisions are made by those who show up