The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Not Your Usual Suspects SantaBarbara Syrahs..

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Not Your Usual Suspects SantaBarbara Syrahs..

by TomHill » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:22 pm

We tried last night (6/17/09) Not The Usual Suspects SantaBarbara Syrahs:
1. Consilience StarLaneVnyd/SantaBarbaraCnty Syrah (15.6%; 231 cs) 2003: Dark color; rather ozone/gunflint/
WWII beacon/licorice/pungent some fumey/alcoholic ripe/jammy/boysenberry/Syrah nose; soft/fat rather burnt/
charred/oak bit hot/alcoholic very ripe/boysenberry/Syrah/licorice/jammy some burnt/charred/oak flavor;
med.long very ripe/fumey/alcoholic boysenberry/jammy finish w/ slight tannins; big/ripe fruit but pretty
over-the-top for me.$34.00
cherry liquer volatile/fumey light toasty/oak finish w/ light tannins; loads of interesting ripe fruit but
a bit too alcoholic/fumey in character. $34.00
long Smuckers black cherry jam/boysenberry pretty hot/alcoholic finish w/ light tannins; seems a bit old/
tired for an '05; pretty ripe/alcoholic Syrah; my favorite of these because it seemed to carry the
alcohol somewhat better. $30.00
jammy/boysenberry/Syrah finish w/ light tannins; seems most hot/overripe/alcoholic of these. $36.00
slight spicy/roasted finish w/ light tannins; quite attractive but starting to show some aged/cedary
character; probably near its peak or beyond. $28.00
toasty/oak slightly bitter finish; needs another yr or two; very good fruit but a bit hard on the palate.
$36.00
cherry/blackberry/Syrah light spicy/peppery/minerally finish w/ some tannins; needs several yrs; the most
interesting of the JellyRolls and my favorite; quite a lovely Syrah. $38.00
finish; hard/tannic/bitter and lacks fruit; seems over-extracted. $31.00
9. Summerland Syrah BienNacidoVnyd/Block X/SantaMariaVlly (14.1%; #1261 of 215 cs;
http://www.SummerlandWine.com) 2004
: Dark color; rather smokey/pungent/charred/oak bit dusty/earthy light
licorice/Syrah slight volatile/fumey low fruit nose; tart lean/hard/tannic low fruit rather charred/toasty/
flavor; med.short hard/tannic/some bitter low fruit/licorice/Syrah slight bretty finish; needs age but ??;
lacks fruit & pretty hard/tannic; way overpriced at $54.00
11. RedCar AllNightRadio Calif Syrah (15%) 2003: Dark/black color; strong licorice/boysenberry/Syrah rather
toasty/charred/oak/smokey pretty intense/extracted nose; big/tannic/hard licorice/boysenberry/Syrah some
charred/toasty/burnt/oak/pungent extracted flavor; long pretty hard/tannic some very ripe/boysenberry/
Syrah charred/toasty/oak finish; a pretty big/extracted Syrah that needs age but may never come into
balance; a bit of a gamble. $42.00
extracted some peppery/floral/blackberry/Syrah finish; very attractive nose but seems a bit on the
overextracted side and may never come around. $60.00
floral/violets some blackberry/spicy/Syrah bit tannic finish; probably near its peak; a very attractive
Syrah w/ lovely perfumed/floral component. Larry's mystery. $30.00
____________________________________________________________________________________
A the usual pandering comments from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Consilience: I've followed these wines from the very start, but have decided to give up on them. They
tend to be very ripe/overripe and hot/alcoholic/fumey, but w/ loads of fruit. It's just a style that
no longer appeals to me much.
extracted edge on the palate that makes me question if they'll ever come into balance. Time will tell
I suppose. But for the $$'s, I would expect more from these wines.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Not Your Usual Suspects SantaBarbara Syrahs..

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:33 pm

Gosh. A lot of alcohol showing up in these Central coast wines. :? Makes my head spin.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mark Noah

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Baltimore

by Mark Noah » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:08 am

Haven't had most of these. Wife and I did stop by Consilience when there. For the most part, thought the wines were good. The one you seem to dislike the most is the one we bought which is the Hampton Roads. Different strokes I guess. Although I haven't opened any yet, my memory of the wine leaves me excited for when I do.

Anyway, thanks for the notes

Mark
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well...

by TomHill » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:59 am

Mark Noah wrote:Haven't had most of these. Wife and I did stop by Consilience when there. For the most part, thought the wines were good. The one you seem to dislike the most is the one we bought which is the Hampton Roads. Different strokes I guess. Although I haven't opened any yet, my memory of the wine leaves me excited for when I do.
Anyway, thanks for the notes
Mark

Mark,
These wines had a few yrs of age on them. I think the Consilience style of big/bold Syrahs shows better right out of the gate and that fumey/alcoholic
character is exacerbated w/ age.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:14 am

Wow. I haven't had these either, and for the most part, based on your notes, that is a good thing! Other than #7, I doubt I'd enjoy any of them. Thanks for the notes.
no avatar
User

Mark Noah

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Baltimore

by Mark Noah » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:28 am

Tom,

yeah, I missed the year. Well, I guess we I have a good excuse to drink them quickly.

Thanks again,

Mark