The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bacon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

Bacon

by Alan Wolfe » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:17 pm

I tasted two wines Saturday, a Norton and a Frontenac of recent vintage, that tasted strongly of smoked bacon. In both cases the fruit was muted. Neither was particularly well made, but neither had any serious flaws that I could identify with the exception of the lack of fruit and powerful smoked bacon nose. It was much more evident on the nose than on the palate.

I've heard of such things before, but never experienced them to my knowledge, and certainly never so powerfully.

Any suggestions what may have caused that particular aroma?
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: Bacon

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Not an expert on Norton, Alan, but I'd say smoked bacon is pretty characteristic of it.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:37 pm

Perhaps you have been blessed with the ability to conjure the aroma of bacon at will. If only that were MY superpower...
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:25 pm

Clinton - I take your point, but I've been growing and making Norton for a fair number of years now, and have yet to encounter a smoked bacon nose nearly this powerful.

Matt - I would probably consider that particular ability something of a curse, as it would interfere with my enjoyment of red wine.

It was really quite strange and not particularly pleasant. I like the aroma of smoked bacon, just not in my wine.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:33 pm

For what it worth bacon is a common characteristic of some Cote Roties. Not sure what "causes" it.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:26 pm

I made a Gamay a few years ago that I entered in the NY State Fair. The judges didn't like it and one of the comments I got back on the judges tasting report was "smells like bacon". I liked it. :roll:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:29 pm

Drinkable bacon - what a neat concept! :wink:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi Alan,
Did these wines see any time in oak? What type of oak and how much time?

Salute
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:28 am

I'll go way out on a long limb here, Alan, and make a supposition that you could have been picking up two instances of brett.

Although it is not a usual thing, I have come across instances of brett that did smell bacony---well, actually, the combination you describe of lacking in fruit and reeking of something vaguely bacony is a better description of what I'm talking about.

And for those who are about to pounc----no, I'm not talking about the smoky/bacony/gamy/meaty descriptors that are sometimes used or Syrahs. This is more of a heavy, leaden, smothering and unpleasant smoked bacon that's starting to go off.

Of course, that brings us around to how people perceive brett in the first place, and how brett may evince itself. Blah blah blah.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:06 am

Hoke wrote:I'll go way out on a long limb here, Alan, and make a supposition that you could have been picking up two instances of brett.
[...]
Of course, that brings us around to how people perceive brett in the first place, and how brett may evince itself. Blah blah blah.

FWIW, that was my reaction, too, Hoke. Add to the list of variables the different strains of Brett and the slippery business of attaching words to what we smell and you've got a fine conundrum on your hands.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:12 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
Hoke wrote:I'll go way out on a long limb here, Alan, and make a supposition that you could have been picking up two instances of brett.
[...]

FWIW, that was my reaction, too, Hoke. Add to the list of variables the different strains of Brett and the slippery business of attaching words to what we smell and you've got a fine conundrum on your hands.

Mark Lipton

Wait. You drink Conundrum?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:26 am

Hoke wrote:
Wait. You drink Conundrum?

Hoke, I've followed Condundrum from the very start, doncha know?

MarkLipton
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:24 pm

Thanks all. Brett what what I had in mind. I like to believe I know what brett tastes/smells like, but have never had someone who really knows hand me a glass of wine and say "This is it." I've also never sent a "tainted" wine to a lab for analysis.

I don't know if the wine was exposed to oak or not, although I expect it was.

I also know the winemaker, and he would not take kindly to my suggesting that there might be something wrong with his wine. Oh well.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:16 pm

1. With regard to Brettanomyces - a side effect of various strains of yeast that in my opinion causes primarily metallic or wet-fur notes to develop in a wine. In small amounts Brett can add charm, but in large amounts it is a serious fault.

2. With regard to notes of bacon in a wine - perhaps a demonstration of just how much a Rohrshach test the perception of aromas and flavors can be, but quite often not at all a negative description. See for example, the three tasting notes that follow (including one wine that is actually kosher)

Macauley, Cabernet Sauvignon, To Kalon Vineyard, Napa, 2005: A California blockbuster, with super-generous toasty and cedar-like wood and firm but yielding tannins. No fear though as those do not hide the charm of this wine which shows a tempting array of red currant and blackberry fruits, those complemented nicely by notes of Mediterranean herbs and, on the long finish on which the fruits rise notes of licorice and fried bacon. Approachable now but best 2010-2017. Score 92. (Tasted 20 Feb 2009)

Segal, Cabernet Sauvignon, Rechasim, Dishon, Israel, 2005: A single vineyard wine, dark, almost inky-garnet in color, concentrated and intense. Full-bodied and tannic enough to be thought of as chewy, the tannins integrating nicely and showing fine balance with the wood in which the wine was aged. Generous black fruits here, but not so much a fruity wine as a spicy one led by aromas and flavors of smoked bacon, licorice and espresso coffee. Drink now–2012. Score 90. K (Re-tasted 4 Nov 2008)

Chateau Beaucastel, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Hommage a Jacques Perrin, 2000: No need to change a word of my earlier tasting note (9 Apr 2003). This full bodied, almost black wine has the kind of impeccable balance that bodes very well for long term cellaring. Simultaneously powerful and elegant, with black currant, cherry and wild berry fruits all complemented beautifully by aromas and flavors of truffles, anise and even a hint of what might well be crisply fried bacon, and with a long sweet finish, this is a true beauty. Drink now-2020. Score 98. (Re-tasted 30 Oct 2007)

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:46 pm

Matt Richman wrote:Perhaps you have been blessed with the ability to conjure the aroma of bacon at will. If only that were MY superpower...

FYI, Matt. I have quoted you several times over the past few days in the halls of Washington's most Elite Power Brokers. :lol: I really like it and it is incredible how appropriate it can be in conversation, especially the last past.
Last edited by Jon Peterson on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi again Alan,
I think you will find the following article interesting, written by Roger Lansing for Wine Business Monthly back in May of 2004;
http://www.winebusiness.com/wbm/?go=get ... taId=32266

Salute
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:33 pm

Thank you, Victorwine, that is what I was looking for.