The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Savennieres primavera

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Savennieres primavera

by Dale Williams » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:02 am

A lot of recent reports about premOxed '96 & '97 Loires, including the Baumard Clos du Papillon. If the butterfly is dying, what chance does the regular 1996 Baumard Savennieres have? So I brought up my last bottle of the basic, but with a young white Burg as backup. Backup wasn't needed, the wine was quite fresh.

The meal was some filet of cod with the original Le Cirque Spaghetti Primavera recipe:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/magaz ... f=magazine

I generally find pasta primavera a boring mess, but this (comparatively laborious) version is great. The Savennieres was good, though not great. It showed no trace of oxidation at all, the acidity had calmed compared to it's youth (I know TA doesn't change, but something does). Some Chenin wooliness, a touch of honey, green and sweet apple fruit. Not especially complex,but fresh and harmonious. Because I was looking for it, I thought I found some light asparagus notes (which some claim is the Baumard trademark), but could easily be power of suggestion (and asparagus in dish). B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Savennieres primavera

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I generally find pasta primavera a boring mess, but this (comparatively laborious) version is great... 

Glad to hear it. I remember when that article was first printed and I wondered if it was worth the trouble to go through all those steps. Especially since 'simple' pasta dishes can be so divine.

But, glad to hear it made for a good and instructive match.