The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Oz wines at lunch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Oz wines at lunch

by Jay Labrador » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:49 am

Notes from Oz lunch at Je Suis Gourmand with Jojo, Johnny, Aaron, Arnie and Selina.

Schild Estate Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc 2008 - From Adelaide Hills. Rich, ripe fruit. Prickly on the tongue. Real friendly wine with noticeable sweetness. Very good.

Rosemount Mountain Blue Shiraz/Cabernet 1998 - Color starting to brick. Ripe fruit with some good acidity making it food friendly. Cabernet nose; all pencil and cedar. Tastes Old Worldy. A food wine. Seems just past peak. Excellent but if you have it, don't wait any longer.

Browns of Padthaway The Brigstock Shiraz/Cabernet 1998 - Smells oaky. Much more youthful looking than the Rosemount. Toffee and caramel then an acidic hit on the finish which seems a little strange to me. Got a little more interesting after an hour or so with some Indian spice coming in. Disjointed but it improved tremendously with food. Good.

Clarendon Hills Romas Grenache 2003 - Very fruity - all strawberry and cherry. Young and tannic. Much lighter than I expected. Lovely stuff. Well balanced and gains weight with air. Needs a few more years to come around but should have excellent potential.

Kilikanoon McLaren Vale M Shiraz 2003 - Cafe au lait. Really smooth. Minty. Easy to drink and likely at peak. I would have preferred some structure to be provided by tannin or acid. It wasn't flabby, just lacking in grip - it slides down the throat too easily. Good, though.

Domaine du Pegau Reserve Chateauneuf du Pape 2004 - The only non-Oz wine. Fragrant wood and berries. Ripe sweet fruit. Young and tannic. Very complex. No poop on the nose but you sense it after swallowing the wine. Earthy, milk chocolate, coffee, slightly cheesy, black olives, this wine just keeps going on and on. Beautiful and should continue to evolve. I hope Jojo has more of this! Outstanding and very impressive.

Ben Schild Reserve Shiraz 2005 - Too bad this followed such a great wine but it was more of an afterthought to try this. Toffeeish and hot. No subtlety here. Not my type.

Sir James Sparkling Shiraz NV - The only lady at lunch gave a resounding yes when I asked if we still wanted to try this so how could I refuse? Very dark. Good balance with muted sweetness. We were puzzled by the lack of fizz after the initial pour but this is one of the better examples of Sparkling Shiraz I've tried.

De Bortoli Noble One 1998 - Once again a resounding yes from the lady after I asked if we wanted dessert wine. Alarmingly dark. Selina put the wine next to her amber ring and the wine was a close match. Very sweet but with good balancing acidity on the finish. Orange marmalade and burnt sugar. Just past peak I would say but still, very good.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Oz wines at lunch

by Jenise » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:42 am

I thought those Noble Ones were virtually immortal. I guess '98 was too warm a year to produce the acidity needed to preserve the wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:46 am

I had a 1985 Noble One at lunch last year, oldest one I have tried. Superb wine. Deep amber colour, marmalade and honey but with amazing structure and fresh finish.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:43 pm

I thought that de Bortoli let the acidity fall right away on Noble One from about the mid-nineties. And it's not until recently that it's got back into balance - the 2005 tasted the other week was much better.
The wines from the 80s show way better then those from the 90s, in my experience.
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

Mark Noah

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Baltimore

by Mark Noah » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:47 am

Jay,

Nice notes.

I did notice you stated the Clarendon Hill Grenache needed more time. Be careful with this one. Have just recently tasted some CH wines with age. Not one of them improved with age. The '96, '97, '99 Astralis held the best, but just lost so much. The Grenaches fared worse.

I was actually disappointed at the aging ability of these wines. However, I now know to enjoy these while they"re still young. The Romas Grenache is a stunning wine when young, so I'll still be buying.... and then finishing quickly.

Mark
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:40 pm

Mark, thanks for the advice on aging Clarendon. I don't have any of their wines but I'll tell my friend who has a few bottles.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:41 pm

Agreed with Mark; I've tried a couple of older Clarendon Hills Grenache and found that once the fruit starts to drop in intensity with age, there's very little development of flavour and the alcohol becomes even more overbearing and offensive.