The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '96s - Trimbach Gewurz CSdR, Thackrey Orion

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: '96s - Trimbach Gewurz CSdR, Thackrey Orion

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:38 am

Poker night at Jason's last night. I didn't write down all the wine names, but we had an '89 Muscadet (Le L d'Or) that just reinforced my thought that while Muscadet does not die from aging it does not profit from it. There was a Betz red blend of Grenache and Mourvedre that was outstanding, a very good Lagier-Meredith Syrah that I did not have enough of, and a '98 Jadot Corton Pougets that was quite grumpy to be opened, but came out to play with an hour of air.

I brought along two 1996s that I was curious to try.

1996 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Cuvée des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre
Imagine a lychee fruit that has been dusted with ground chili peppers. That is exactly what this wine tasted like. It's the 4th or 5th 1996 that has evoked the chili pepper thing for me (most recently the Muller-Catoir Rieslaner Auslese), so I am beginning to wonder if the funky acids of that year are turning into a bizarre, chili pepper essence that will show up on a regular basis. Beyond the weird spice note the wine was quite delicious, and it held up very well over the course of the evening. This with a cork that self destructed in coming out of the bottle.

1996 Sean Thackrey Orion
These wines seem to live in some sort of stasis. Perhaps it's the high quantity of Petite Sirah in the blend that makes them age like Connor MacLeod (i.e. not at all), but in reality there has been a toning down of once over-the-top fruit and a mellowing of razor sharp tannins. It's much more of a wine now, though I still cannot put my finger on any signature, except for the eucalyptus and very dark fruit. It's a good drink, but I find his lower priced blend (Pleiedes) to be much more fun and interesting to drink. The Orion is too monolithic.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: '96s - Trimbach Gewurz CSdR, Thackrey Orion

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:50 am

David M. Bueker wrote:...we had an '89 Muscadet (Le L d'Or) that just reinforced my thought that while Muscadet does not die from aging it does not profit from it..

Heresy! :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:38 am

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:...we had an '89 Muscadet (Le L d'Or) that just reinforced my thought that while Muscadet does not die from aging it does not profit from it..

Heresy! :D

The beauty of it is that the consensus opinion around the table was that it was not worth aging Muscadet. I'm thinking of starting my own cult.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:41 am

Sheesh, and I thought the 2000 Orion was a tough customer. The fact that the 1996 is still monolithic I guess doesn't surprise me, but it ain't exactly encouraging.

On the Muscadet front, I am with you but waiting eagerly for an epiphany moment to jump ship...

You playing Texas Hold Em or dealer's choice or what?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:07 pm

I've had slightly older Orion from time to time, and there does seem to be more development at 20 years or so, but as usual the bottles coming out of the Schloss Bueker Glacier Cave just don't age.

As for poker, we played dealer's choice. It was very funny as I was up big but wanted to go home (and there was no end in sight for the game from what I could tell) so I was making big bets on garbage hands (max losses would have been only $20, so figured no big deal). I actually forgot that on one had we were playing high/low & the pot was big and I had low!
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:15 pm

Been there! Sometimes staying more sober than your opponents is the way to win. But where is the fun in that?!?