The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two very different CA wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

WTN: Two very different CA wines

by Doug Surplus » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:18 pm

2006 Peirano Estate Vineyards Malbec - Lodi. Tired, over the hill and lacking in character. A year ago it was heady and deep, with a good balance of black fruit, earth and tannins. Now, the fruit is gone and the tannins are tame, leaving only some dust in their wake. $15

2002 Monte Volpe Sangiovese - Mendocino. This wine is still alive, very much alive. Tart, juicy black and boysenberry fruit dances with summer flowers in a never ending tango of delight. Well balanced at 14.5% abv it's light enough to pair with food. Lots of life left in this wine from the Graziano family. $18
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Hmmmm..

by TomHill » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:36 am

Doug Surplus wrote:2006 Peirano Estate Vineyards Malbec - Lodi. Tired, over the hill and lacking in character. A year ago it was heady and deep, with a good balance of black fruit, earth and tannins. Now, the fruit is gone and the tannins are tame, leaving only some dust in their wake. $15
2002 Monte Volpe Sangiovese - Mendocino. This wine is still alive, very much alive. Tart, juicy black and boysenberry fruit dances with summer flowers in a never ending tango of delight. Well balanced at 14.5% abv it's light enough to pair with food. Lots of life left in this wine from the Graziano family. $18

Amazing that the Malbec was dead & gone already, Doug. But not surprised the Sangio is still a'kickin'. Greg makes some pretty good wines under his MonteVolpe label.
Especially like some of his whites.
Tom
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

I'm surprised too, Tom

by Doug Surplus » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:16 pm

about the Malbec as it shows on their website as a current release. Bottle variation, perhaps. I have a couple more bottles so I can try again.

Yes, those Monte Volpe wines are tasty, and the Enotria Arneis is nice too. When it comes to the Graziano wines I've not found one I didn't like, just liked some more than others.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?