The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTn: Dr. L

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

WTn: Dr. L

by John Treder » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Germany, Mosel, Loosen Bros.,"Dr. L" Riesling 2007, $12.99 at BevMo. Definitely sweet, some lemon, not much of interest. Slightly alcoholic lemonade. Screw cap. 8.5% alcohol
Screw cap wasn't the problem. I could do better with something from South Africa for around $7.99.
I like riesling and I like the real Dr. Loosen rieslings, mostly. This was one of those bottles where nobody was home, and it cost way too much to make up for its lack of quality.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTn: Dr. L

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:20 am

John, I have read similar comments on UK sites. Seems earlier vintages were more up to snuff eh.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:34 am

I actually thought the 2007 was my favorite Dr L in many years, although I think $9 was most I paid for it (at one point Zachys had for $7)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:49 am

Dale Williams wrote:I actually thought the 2007 was my favorite Dr L in many years, although I think $9 was most I paid for it (at one point Zachys had for $7)

Ditto. I've had Dr. L. from '04, '05 and '07 and of those three vintages, the '07 was hands down my favorite. It's not going to displace Dönnhoff in my affections, but it was a perfectly acceptable '07 QbA.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:11 pm

I've only had the 2006 (at $10), which I liked very much, but this discussion raises a question for me. I imagine that the Dr L is pretty widely distributed and produced in quantity. Though quality producers focus on quality, does the scale of production for a wine like this translate into higher degree of bottle variation?
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:26 pm

I'd expect high production wines, especially under screwcap, to show rather less bottle variation than "artisan" wines. Perhaps my dismay was a matter of expectation rather than the quality of the wine itself. I was hoping for a stony or steely quality, sort of Kabinett-ish, to go with a petrale sole souffle, and I didn't get what I expected. There was nothing wrong with the bottle, and it did taste better with food than by itself - the food moderated the sweetness - but it seemed closer to old-fashioned Liebfraumilch than a real hard-edged Riesling. Maybe I just guessed wrong in the store.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

by Jim Brennan » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:01 am

I enjoyed the '07 Dr L as well. However, I had some bottles that I purchased later, and these didn't seem to perform as well (the earlier bottles seemed to have more of a green apple and lime snap to them than later bottles). I have to wonder whether it's created in enough volume that there's some notable variation.