The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: first "wines by the river" of the year

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: first "wines by the river" of the year

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:10 pm

Tuesday I didn't have wine with dinner (because I had Chinese food at office before a board meeting), but when I got home had a glass of the wine I had left for Betsy's dinner, the 2007 Gysler Weinheimer Riesling Kabinett  (Rheinhessen). Light, easy, juicy sweetness with solid acids. Light for the Rhine, but tasty and fun. I carried to the river Wednesday night, offered tastes to others but didn't try, but had the last 2 ounces at 2 AM this AM when I got in from a run. Still lively, a mineral note more apparent. Very nice wine for low teens tag. B/B+

Wednesday was cool, but we went to the river for the first concert of the year. Our drummer friend Ron had a trio backing an excellent jazz vocalist, we had a nice picnic (I had made a steak salad and a grilled eggplant salad). As I was taking a group from PA into city that night, I didn't really consume, but I had teeny tastes of bottles from several friends, although from a plastic glass (I usually carry stems but if you can't really imbibe...):

2005 Grolet "G" (Cotes du Bourg)
Straightforward Libournais Merlot, some black plum, no obvious oak, lighter styled. Nothing to dislike here, but I didn't find especially interesting. For a couple dollars more you can get Grolet's tete de cuvee, which is quite interesting. B-

2007 Pittaro Pinot Grigio (Friuli)

Clean, easy, green apples and a little lemon, ok. B-

2005 Potel "Cuvee Gerard" Bourgogne
I think I didn't care for this much on release, but this showed nicely. Black cherries, a little mocha, not big but with good grip and concentration. Would have liked a real pour in a real glass to see if I liked as much. B+

(2007?) du Mortier "Graviers"
I  think this was a Bourgueil, but not certain. Fresh red fruit, a bit of tobacco leaf, but a bit too poopy for me. C+/B-

Fun evening with dogs, music, food, and a little wine, I was sorry I couldn't hang into the nighttime.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: WTN: first "wines by the river" of the year

by Lou Kessler » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:23 pm

The Potels I've tasted have always impressed, at least at the premier cru level. :D
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: first "wines by the river" of the year

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:40 pm

I've had pretty good luck with Potel. The stories are always that he has access to good fruit due to connections from his dad.

I know some people who are less fond. But I really loved his '00 RSV and some others I liked a lot, and have various 1ers and a few GCs to try in a few years.