The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Another closure victim ('04 Rijckaert Jura)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

WTN: Another closure victim ('04 Rijckaert Jura)

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Last night, we dined on leftover salmon from the weekend and stir-fried Spring vegetables. With dinner, I opened:

2004 Jean Rijckaert Côtes de Jura Chardonnay "Les Sarres"
color: dark golden yellow
nose: initially, a hint of browned apples, turning more minerally
palate: crisp acidity, slightly oxidative, not much fruit

Having recently discussed with Tim York the possibility that I'd like Rijckaert's wines, I picked this up on a recent visit to Sam's in Chicago. The first warning sign was the fake cork revealed by the removal of the capsule. The color also hinted at some oxidation and a first sniff confirmed it. Fortunately, it wasn't heavily oxidized, though the wine did seem tired anyway. A decent match with the salmon, but not a very interesting wine.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Another closure victim ('04 Rijckaert Jura)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:05 pm

Sure it's a closure issue? Sounds like the oxidized Jura style.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:22 pm

My thought, as well. Isn't this bottling more Savagnin than Chardonnay? Still, never a fan of the synthetic corks...
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

by Nigel Groundwater » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:01 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Last night, we dined on leftover salmon from the weekend and stir-fried Spring vegetables. With dinner, I opened:

2004 Jean Rijckaert Côtes de Jura Chardonnay "Les Sarres"
color: dark golden yellow
nose: initially, a hint of browned apples, turning more minerally
palate: crisp acidity, slightly oxidative, not much fruit

Having recently discussed with Tim York the possibility that I'd like Rijckaert's wines, I picked this up on a recent visit to Sam's in Chicago. The first warning sign was the fake cork revealed by the removal of the capsule. The color also hinted at some oxidation and a first sniff confirmed it. Fortunately, it wasn't heavily oxidized, though the wine did seem tired anyway. A decent match with the salmon, but not a very interesting wine.

Mark Lipton

IMO this is probably a closure/storage issue since this 100% Chardonnay wine [he also makes a 100% Savagnin] is made along the same lines as his burgundies i.e. not in a 'vin jaune' style.

Your description, apart from the dark colour and 'brown' rather than 'green' apples, is roughly what I would have expected - certainly the minerality and crisp acidity. As you say it just sounds tired and your diagnosis seems bang on to me. I suspect the 2006 would have given you a much better idea of what Rijckaert intended.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks for the additional info Nigel. That certainly pushes the issue to the fake cork (the only closure I dislike more than real cork).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:09 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Sure it's a closure issue? Sounds like the oxidized Jura style.

Rijckaert doesn't do the oxidative style. His synthetic stoppers are a mistake, though. I argued with him about it but he claims that Nomacorc allows decent ageing. I suspect that he doesn't dare go to screwcaps because of their poor image in his main European markets.

Incidentally, a few days ago, I opened a delicious bottle of his 04 Jura Chard Vignes des Voises, under natural cork.

Mark, why not put pressure on him by emailing your TN to rijckaert.jean@orange.fr ?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:50 pm

Tim York wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Sure it's a closure issue? Sounds like the oxidized Jura style.

Rijckaert doesn't do the oxidative style. His synthetic stoppers are a mistake, though. I argued with him about it but he claims that Nomacorc allows decent ageing. I suspect that he doesn't dare go to screwcaps because of their poor image in his main European markets.

Incidentally, a few days ago, I opened a delicious bottle of his 04 Jura Chard Vignes des Voises, under natural cork.

Mark, why not put pressure on him by emailing your TN to rijckaert.jean@orange.fr ?

Thanks for the information, gents. I was fairly sure that it wasn't just an oxidative Vin Jaune-style wine given what I knew about his Maconnais Chardonnays, but it's nice to have confirmation. OK, Tim, I'll send him my note as an FYI -- should I drop your name? :wink:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Geez, I wonder what that non-oxidized Savagnin is going to taste like? I sort of expected at least a semi-Jura treatment on that. I'll have to give the 2004 Rijckaert a try this summer and report back.
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

by Nigel Groundwater » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:54 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Thanks for the additional info Nigel. That certainly pushes the issue to the fake cork (the only closure I dislike more than real cork).

My pleasure David!. As regards the rest I wonder how many people don't already know that? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:35 am

Mark Lipton wrote: OK, Tim, I'll send him my note as an FYI -- should I drop your name? :wink:

Mark Lipton

No, Mark, he wouldn't know my name. I've met him several times at tastings but I didn't give my name; never do in fact.
Tim York