The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Too many corks!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Too many corks!

by Jon Peterson » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:58 am

Like many on the WLDG, I'd guess, years ago I started saving corks from wine bottles I'd opened. This was true for wines opened at home or when we went out to dinner. I'd even discriminate to some extent and not keep anything but real cork. I'd feel bad when one would fall apart or have to be pushed into the bottle and I'd feel proud when I got one of those real long ones indicating a wine meant to be aged from a well known estate or chateau.

In retrospect, I have no idea why I did this. I have resolved to throw away what I have, unless someone here wants them (I'll pay shipping), and not save any more. I need to fact facts: That wall of corks, that trivet and that corkboard message board simple isn't going to be made. I feel like I've matured somehow. Besides, I need the space for actual wine. I also note that while I've resolved to do this, I haven't done it yet.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: Too many corks!

by Brian Gilp » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:25 am

Yeah, that's me also. Even after I shipped a large box out to someone who wanted corks for some project I have at least 3 boxes remaining and just can't seem to throw them out. Funny thing is that I don't keep the sparkling wine corks, just still wine.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Same Addiction...

by TomHill » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:36 am

I just sort of absently-minded save my corks as well. Fortunately, I've been able to find a home for them over the last 35 yrs...
there always seems to be somebody who wants them for various projects. Last garbage bag full went to our local TraderJoes
for their cork bulletin board. The guy was flabbergasted when I broughht in this huge bag full. He looked at me like...I had some
sort of problem!! Apparently, someone had noticed a SQN cork on their board and they tracked me down and connected me
up with the guy.
My kids used to like to dump them on the (carpeted) hallway & spread them out, thenstart back in the living room, take a
good run, then belly-flop onto them and slide the length of the hallway. And, of course, it was always Dad that had to
clean up the mess.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

Re: Same Addiction...

by Jon Peterson » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:22 am

TomHill wrote:My kids used to like to dump them on the (carpeted) hallway & spread them out, then start back in the living room, take a
good run, then belly-flop onto them and slide the length of the hallway. And, of course, it was always Dad that had to
clean up the mess.

Belly-flop on to corks - that's different! On the 100th day of school, 1st or 2nd grade I think, students were supposed to bring in 100 of something. Needless to say, my kids would bring 100 corks. I'm sure a few eyebrows were raised. I can hear the teacher now: "And what does your daddy do?"

BTW - Congrats, Tom, on your 1,000th post recently!
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

by TomHill » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:38 am

Jon Peterson wrote:BTW - Congrats, Tom, on your 1,000th post recently!

Thanks, Jon. To tell the truth...I hadn't noticed.
Usually when people start tossing out big numbers w/ my name..they're funnin' me on my age!!!
Tom
no avatar
User

Michael A

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Eugene Oregon

by Michael A » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:56 pm

Jon,

I have heard of this nation wide cork recycling program. I Googled it up, I see Whole Foods takes corks for recycling and one of my favorite wine shops here has a recycling program. Something to think about.

Michael
"There are more old wine drinkers than old doctors" German proverb
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:35 pm

TomHill wrote:The guy was flabbergasted when I broughht in this huge bag full. He looked at me like...I had some
sort of problem!!

That gave me quite a laugh because the same thing has happened to me. I keep my old corks in one of those big glass water cooler jugs. Anytime someone comes over that does not know me well and sees the jug full of corks, their eyes practically pop out. Then they usually say something like, "Holy crap! You drank all that wine?!"

I thought I read some where a few years ago that a guy made a boat out of wine bottle corks.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:41 am

Michael A wrote:I have heard of this nation wide cork recycling program. Something to think about. Michael

Thanks Michael - I would much rather recycle than just throw them out. I even wondered what they'd do to my compost bin.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi Jon,

I save my corks also. My wife and son made a bulletin board out of them that is in our kitchen. It's fun :) to look and at the corks and remember the wines. It's also scary :? when you draw a blank sometimes.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:34 pm

Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:30 pm

1- glue them on your cellar door.

2 - put them together to make trivets out of them

3 - dump them in a planter as an interesting mulch (friends did this on an inside planter and it was a converstaion piece)