The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: California '06 Pinots

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: California '06 Pinots

by Jay Labrador » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:04 am

Notes from last night's Pinot tasting at Cafe Ysabel.

Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noirs NV - Unusually, this Blanc de Noirs actually has some Chardonnay in it. Very light old rose color. Impressively fine bubbles. Good weight and fruit although the finish was a bit weak. For a non-Champagne sparkler, very good for me.

De Loach Pinot Noir Green Valley Russian River Valley 2006 - Green, unripe note on the nose. Cherry. Quite sweet and a bit hot. Chocolate. Light and easy. Good balance and length. Quite nice.

Gloria Ferrer Etesian Pinot Noir Sonoma 2006 - Deep strawberry/raspberry nose. Sweet, new worldy flavors. Toffee. Not too interesting.

Patz and Hall Sonoma Pinot Noir 2006 - A little prickly on the tongue. Good length but slightly bitter. Some chocolate. Old rags aroma underneath the fruit which is really unappealing for me. Later on, dried herbs. Very dry. A bit weird for me.

Gloria Ferrer Carneros Pinot Noir 2006 - What a stink! Sulfur and rotten eggs. Fortunately this blew off after some vigorous swirling. Hot. Sweet nose. Very modern and rich. Not my style.

Cuvaison Pinot Noir 2006 - Modern but in a good way. Tobacco. Well balanced. Good.

None of the Pinots really grabbed me. The Cuvaison and De Loach were nice but nothing special or interesting.

Gene remembered he had a bit of sherry left over from a previous tasting so we had a some of that as well:

Bodegas Hidalgo Faraon Oloroso - Light, very long and nutty. Too bad we didn't have this with some tapas. I took home what remained of the bottle and will try it soon with some olives and nuts.

As I didn't bring any Pinot, my contribution was dessert:

Celler de Capcanes Pansal de Calas 2004 - A dessert wine of Garnacha and Carignan from Montsant. Very dark. Fruity but not jammy or overly sweet. Plums, figs and grapeskins. Easy to drink. Reminds me of Banyuls or a very light Vintage Port. Very good.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: California '06 Pinots

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:12 am

Not exactly the best that California has to offer.

Gloria Ferrer does make some good sparklers though. I prefer Roederer Estate if I am buying Cali fizz, but the Ferrer wines are good.
Decisions are made by those who show up