The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Good Chablis and Zinfandel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Good Chablis and Zinfandel

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:27 am

Saturday was seafood, Betsy grabbed some sea scallops from farmers market while I got 3 lobsters from Stew Leonards ($5.99/lb). She steamed the lobsters, I grilled some veggies (tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, squash) and then sauteed the scallops and finished with lemon and chive. Wine was the 2004 JM Brocard "Montmains" Chablis 1er, a round and giving Chablis yet with a good acidic spine and minerally finish. Apple and citrus fruit, chalky minerality, good length, drinking very well now. Holds well overnight. A-

Last night night I slow-cooked some St Louis cut ribs with a dry rub, then glazed with a tomato/vinegar sauce at very end; this was served with grilled potato salad,  broccoli/garlic salad., and the 2002 Ridge Lytton Springs. Rich zin-berries, crushed raspberry and blackberry flavors, big but not ungainly, sweet fruit with structure. There a little exotic note of sandalwood and vanilla on top, nice wine. B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.