The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Celebration Dinner (including '70 Pichon Lalande)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Celebration Dinner (including '70 Pichon Lalande)

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:26 pm

My tasting group held their annual dinner last night. I didn't take notes, but some of the wines made a real impression.

N.V. Cedric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs Roses de Jeanne "Inflorescence"
Austere and fruity at the same time, this wine was very engaging. It's very dry (I believe no dosage), but not severe. Delicious.

2001 Hirtzberger Riesling Singerriedel
Broader in texture than I expected, this had all the richness but none of the focus that it needed.

1995 Zind Humbrecht Rangen de Thann Clos St Urbain Riesling
Even richer than the Hirtzberger, but more delineated flavors, and a good match with my pork shank dish.

2004 Louis Jadot Puligny Montrachet
Negotiant bottling and quite oaky, but with a surprisingly copious amount of fruit. I suspect this might age into some kind of harmony in a couple of years if the premox demons have been conquered.

1998 Guigal Hermitage
Still showing a good bit of primary fruit, but beginning to show more earthy and leathery characteristics. I would never call this more than a very good wine, and greatness is not on its horizon, but it made another good pairing with the pork shank (which was napped with bacon cream).

1990 Leoville Barton
An excellent bottle with dark fruit enveloped in emerging, mature flavors. This was the most complete wine of the night, though it had a bit of a test to outshine the last bottle.

1970 Pichon Lalande
Decanted from magnum, this was all about mature, leathery, earthy flavors that worked wonders with all the braised meats that were ordered around the table. It held up very well over the course of the evening, and showed great class. It also had a $12.95 price sticker on the empty bottle.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Celebration Dinner (including '70 Pichon Lalande)

by Salil » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:08 pm

Awesome lineup. Really surprised to hear about the 01 Hirtzberger Singerriedel though - had it a month or so ago and it was absolutely insane - electric, really focused/vibrant with a ton of acid and up there among my greatest Riesling experiences.

Although those two old Bordeauxs sound just awesome.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:56 am

Thankd for notes. I have a lone (750) bottle of the 70 Pichon Lalande, hopefully it shows as well as your mag
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:23 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Awesome lineup. Really surprised to hear about the 01 Hirtzberger Singerriedel though - had it a month or so ago and it was absolutely insane - electric, really focused/vibrant with a ton of acid and up there among my greatest Riesling experiences.

Although those two old Bordeauxs sound just awesome.

I've had the 01 Hirtzberger on a few occasions and it has always been sensational. Bad bottle? :roll:
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:38 pm

Thanks, David. Good to get another view on the '98 Guigal Hermitage.

-Michael
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:45 pm

Lou - the Hirtzberger certainly was not what it should have been (I used to own a few myself, and they were always much better). It happens.

Michael - I'm not really sure what to do with my remaining bottles. The more I reflect on it the less interested I am in the wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up