The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Bordeaux, one Rueda

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 Bordeaux, one Rueda

by Dale Williams » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:20 pm

Thursday we had roast chicken, I felt like mature Bordeaux and since David was joining us I went with a birthyear wine for him, a half bottle (we also had leftover Nero d'Avola) of 1988 Ch. La Cardonne (Medoc). I've found La Cardonne to age better than most Medoc ACs, but realized this was pushing it. especially in 375. Still some slightly raspy tannins, subdued currant and plum fruit, just an edge of pruney. Some earth, but fruit doesn't really stand up to tannins, certainly drinkable, but not what I want in claret. Hey, it was really cheap. C+

Friday Betsy was up at Bard, I was in charge of dinner. While I began prep I tried a recent $7.50 purchase, the 2007 Ermita de Nieve Verdejo (Rueda). Decent acidity, light body, green apples and peach with a little Sauvignon Blanc-ish grass/hay note. OK light bodied white probably best as apertif or beach wine. B-

I marinaded lamb chops, then grilled with some eggplant (we also had some broccoli and salad) to time for Betsy's return. To make up for disappointing Bordeaux of previous night, the 1999 Ch. Montrose (St Estephe). Just a little bit tight at first, so I threw into a decanter. On the low-acid side, rich cassis fruit, easy tannins, some cedar/cigarbox. A bit less stern than I'd expect from Montrose, even in an easy-going vintage. With some time, some graphite/pencil shavings. A lighter frame than most Montroses, not especially long, but a very tasty Bordeaux for now and maybe at least next 5 years. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.