The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hatzimichalis Erythros, 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

WTN: Hatzimichalis Erythros, 2004

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Another "Hit or Miss" that pretty much hits, I picked this up at the supermarket in town, having no idea what I was buying but liking the label and the pricetag. Had I bothered to look at the back label (I've become used to all the info being in Greek so I didn't bother) I would have noticed that it is a Rhone blend from Central Greece. Syrah, Grenach and Carignan.

Soft red fruit with a faint touch of something earthy (but not barnyardy) pretty much sums up the nose, which is followed by a tangy but somehow equally soft palate. This is a VERY easy drinking wine, which isn't usually my style (I like my wines to play hard to get) but I like it. This will definitely go on my list for wines to buy when visitors are coming, as I think it would be pleasing to a broad range of tastes.

Don't recall the exact price, but I think it was around 11 euros.

BTW, found this link to the winemakers profile...I've perused this site before and plan to quite often in the future. It seems to me a very comprehensive and easy to follow guide to Greek wines: http://www.greekwinemakers.com/czone/wi ... alis.shtml
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt