The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ridge Carignane BuchignaniRanch ATP '07...(short/boring

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ridge Carignane BuchignaniRanch ATP '07...(short/boring

by TomHill » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:35 am

Fresh off the boat, I cracked last night:
1. Ridge Calif BuchignaniRanch Carignane (OldVines/HillsideGrown; 14.4%; 49 brls; http://www.RidgeWine.com; House and Top blocks of 5 vnyd parcels; Drk: 8/08-8/12-8/13: JO) 2007: Very dark/black color; very strong dusty/old vines black cherry/plummy/blackberry/Carignane bit herbal light toasty/oak/DraperPerfume quite spicy nose; bit hard/tannic/acid rich/black cherry/black berry/Carignane slight herbal/dusty/old vines light smokey/toasty/oak flavor; very long bit hard/tannic/bitey plummy/black cherry/Carignane rather dusty/old vines finish w/ fair tannins; much more fruit than previous Buchignani Carignanes; still a bit hard on palate. $28.00 (ATP)
1. Carignane: Another grape I have trouble getting my arms around. There's a lot of old Carignane vnyds in Calif and that's what attracts PaulDraper to the variety. He is, without doubt, the most skilled winemaker in Calif w/ the variety.
I like the aromatics of Carignane, which reminds me of black cherry & blackberries, maybe a little Sangio-like. But they ofen have this rather mean acid/tannic/hard bite on the palate and seldom show the lushness you get out of Zinfandel. I must admit that I can't ever recall a Carignane that I thought even remotely approached greatness.
So....with that background...I was expecting to find little to like about this Carignane. Surprise/surprise....I liked this Carignane quite a lot. It had much more fruit than any Buchignani Carignanes I've yet had. The tannic bite was there, but the wine was not nearly as severe/hard on the palate as usual. Maybe the best young Ridge Carignane I've yet had.
The tannic/acid bite of Carignane suggests that it is a wine that should age well. But, maybe like Dolcetto, it's a grape that is just missing something that makes it age well. When I was visiting w/ Draper back in May, he made the comment that he's come to the conclusion that pure Carignane doesn't age particularly well...which I found to be a surprising admission given his interest in the grape.
2. Man.....I've been very/very impressed w/ all the Ridge '07's released thus far. Not a loser, or even a mediocre one, in all of them. The wines all seem to have more forward fruit and less Ridge winemaking/DraperPerfume than past vintages. Paul swears there's been no change in their winemaking practices and simply attributes it to the quality of fruit from 2007.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Ridge Carignane BuchignaniRanch ATP '07...(short/boring

by Brian K Miller » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:14 am

Have you tried the Liocco Indica? It has a pretty big swatch of Carriagne in the blend.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:11 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Have you tried the Liocco Indica? It has a pretty big swatch of Carriagne in the blend.

I've tried that one, Brian. Made from MendoCnty grapes I recall. Thought it was nice...but just that. Not particularly
interesting like the Ridge was. It seemed a bit mild-mannered but still had a little of that Carignane tannic edge.
There's a lot of old-vine Carignane stuff up there in the UkiahVlly. Fetzer (as in BarneyFetzer, in the early '70's..
not the megacorp Fetzer of Brown-Forman) used to make a pretty tasty Carignane way back when.
Tom