The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Come on baby light my fire

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Come on baby light my fire

by Jenise » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:44 pm

Saturday evening was a perfect night for deck time--calm water, warm night, light breeze. With our green chile and corn tortilla veal burgers, we had a 2004 Nigl Muskateller, an Austrian wine that had gotten lost in the cellar but which should have, based on what the label said anyway, have been drunk several years ago. It hasn't worked out so badly as I feared: though, yes, it's lost it's frisky young fruit, the wine's inherent acidity and quality are more than enough to shepherd it into a nice new place. Still very pale, there's still a touch of grapefruit, some fresh mown grass, and an emmenthaler kind of nuttiness. Doesn't taste aged, just different, and we enjoyed it quite a bit.

But the night was young yet, so we decided that a pinot would be in order. I traipsed out to the cellar while Bob built a fire in the pit, and grabbed a 2005 Loring (screw cap! deck time loves screw caps!) Garys' Vineyard. We found it lighter than the usual Garys', and not showing much of the classic earthy red fruit from that vineyard. After sipping at it a bit, we finally realized that the wine was probably just tight and in need of a bit more coaxing, so we poured our glasses back in the bottle and I went back to the cellar for another pinot that another bottle of a week ago seemed past due for attention, the 1997 Swan Wolfespierre from Sonoma. It drank much better than the Loring, and in fact much much better than the bottle from the previous week. The hint of mint was still there but not prominent, and the wine didn't have the sweet, porty character and medicinal iodine finish of the other either. It seemed lighter, and had more acid. Very very good.

While we enjoyed that, a cold breeze came down from the northwest and chilled us to the bone. Good timing, or we'd have probably sat out there and killed the bottle. Instead, we more-responsibly came in and set the remainders of both bottles aside. During the night, I woke up and thought back on the wines, in particular how different the Swan was, and realized that I had trusted the Swan to be what the neck tag said and that it must have been an Estate or something else, yeah that would explain the difference!

So last night when we sat down to enjoy some of the salmon we'd spent the day smoking while working in the yard, out came the two pinots, and I quickly grabbed the Swan to verify my nocturnal conclusion: Wolfespierre. It really had been a Woflie after all. Odd how different these older bottles can be, but kind of wonderful too. We'd have nothing to talk about if it weren't something of a gamble. It showed even better than the night before. A lovely wine and without the overt overripe flavors of last week's bottle. I preferred it to the Loring by a hair, probably out of sentimentality, but Bob loved the Loring which was now showing very well indeed. It had gained a bit of weight and now had the classic Gary's red fruit with iron-rich minerality. I'm very happy to have three more bottles.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

Re: WTN: Come on baby light my fire

by Tom N. » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi Jenise,

Have you ever had wine from Gary's vineyard from other wineries to compare? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Brian Loring's Gary's Vineyard is wine made from grapes sourced from Gary Pisoni's vineyard. The best pinot I tasted from Patz and Hall in my recent trip to California was the Pisoni pinot. Although I really liked it (best of the 3 Patz and Hall pinots) I did not think it was a good value at $80 a bottle.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:19 am

Tom - it's Garys' Vineyard for the two guys named Gary who own/farm it. One is Gary Pisoni, and the other is Gary Franscioni.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:46 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Tom - it's Garys' Vineyard for the two guys named Gary who own/farm it. One is Gary Pisoni, and the other is Gary Franscioni.

Right, and separately, the vineyard that Gary Pisoni owns outright is called just Pisoni.

But yes, Tom, I've had other Garys' Vineyard pinots (Siduri makes one) and the vineyard character is there no matter who makes the wine. Earthy red fruit, always.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi David and Jenise,

Thanks for the clarification. Where is Gary Franscioni's vineyard located? And, I also love that earthy red fruit character of the wine. California pinot with a burgundian twist to it.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:03 am

It's located in the Santa Lucia Highlands. The link will provide all the information you could want. :D
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:29 am

One further factoid, if in fact it's still the case (my info is a few years' old), based on what winemakers will pay to get it and what the public will pay for the wine, is that Pisoni is the most valuable pinot fruit in California.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:15 pm

I wasn't very pleased with the 2004 Loring Garys' Vineyard but I may have the 2005 to anticipate. I know I ordered one bottle of the LWC Garys' from the 2006 vintage. I'm finishing up the 2004's before opening any more LWC from 2005,