The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lovely Côte Rôtie, bland Contino, crisp Jurançon, etc.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Lovely Côte Rôtie, bland Contino, crisp Jurançon, etc.

by Tim York » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:14 am

Rioja Contino Reserva 1999 – Viñedos del Contino was slightly disappointing. It showed Rioja typicity with its medium/full body, smooth texture and sweet dark fruit marked by cherry nuances and quite a lot of vanilla but lacked the acidity and spark that illuminated the 1996 and overall gave a somewhat bland impression; bought experimentally from a supermarket at an attractive price (€19,90), so maybe storage problems; 15/20 for this bottle.

Côtes du Rhône Villages “Cuvée Granges Rouges” 2000 – Domaine Chaume-Arnaud, Vinsobres - had got mislaid in my cellar and normally would have been consumed a few years ago. So it was surprising that it turned out much better than the previous. The aromas were fine with elegance sweet cherry notes lifted by a hint of varnish and the palate was medium bodied, elegantly shaped with smooth acidity, mature fruit and resolved structure; needing to be drunk but 16/20 right now.

Sancerre “Florès” 2007 - Domaine Vincent Pinard was my best bottle of this wine so far. I commented on its bright citrus fruit and crisp tension after a tasting in March and it seems to have added (or the herrings brought out) greater aromatic expression and complexity; 16/20+.

Jurançon sec 2006 – Domaine Clos Lapeyre – showed masses of citrus and white fruit, minerals and bracingly crisp acidity with a slightly green finish and was not really suitable for the sole with which I paired it. On this showing I find it less appealing than the honeyed and more complex Clos Marie from Charles Hours but may revise my opinion with a better pairing; 15.5/20.

The best for last! Côte Rôtie 1996 – Robert et Patrick Jasmin – was just lovely. A fragrant aromas of violets, mint laced raspberry, touches of blood and minerals wafted up from the glass. The palate was medium weight, beautifully shaped, long and focussed with silky mouth-feel, lively acidity, the right depth, good support towards the finish and long lasting delicious aromas; 17.5/20 ++.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Lovely Côte Rôtie, bland Contino, crisp Jurançon, etc.

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:27 pm

Tim York wrote:The best for last! Côte Rôtie 1996 – Robert et Patrick Jasmin – was just lovely. A fragrant aromas of violets, mint laced raspberry, touches of blood and minerals wafted up from the glass. The palate was medium weight, beautifully shaped, long and focussed with silky mouth-feel, lively acidity, the right depth, good support towards the finish and long lasting delicious aromas; 17.5/20 ++.

Sounds great. These Jasmin wines always have such crisp acidity, but I've never tasted one with a bit of age.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: Lovely Côte Rôtie, bland Contino, crisp Jurançon, etc.

by Tim York » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:25 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Tim York wrote:The best for last! Côte Rôtie 1996 – Robert et Patrick Jasmin – was just lovely. A fragrant aromas of violets, mint laced raspberry, touches of blood and minerals wafted up from the glass. The palate was medium weight, beautifully shaped, long and focussed with silky mouth-feel, lively acidity, the right depth, good support towards the finish and long lasting delicious aromas; 17.5/20 ++.

Sounds great. These Jasmin wines always have such crisp acidity, but I've never tasted one with a bit of age.

Rahsaan, I reckon that this one is at its peak. 1996 has become a lovely Northern Rhône vintage after a very acidic start in most cases; this was one of the few which was also good young. Perhaps it is now time to take a look at one my Cornas from Clape.
Tim York