The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wow

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Wow

by Florida Jim » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:05 am

2005 Inman Family, Pinot Noir Olivet Grange Vineyard:
This OGV is not the typical Russian River pinot I am used to – it is delicate, fresh and elegantly textured. The crunchy red fruit and cinnamon/brown spice element is still there but I can tell this has had some whole cluster fermentation and has been handled very gently.
The wine is floral and spicy on the nose; spicy cherry-fruited and so feminine and silky in the mouth with a charming and complex herbal tone that is well integrated, exceptional balance; and it finishes with a crisp, clean note. With a little air in the decanter, it becomes even more of a piece and presents a smooth yet bright overall impression. No evidence of wood anywhere. 13.2% alcohol, screwcap and found in a sale rack for $25. ‘Could cellar short term but is perfect now after a splash decant.
I will go back today and buy what is left; I can’t think of a west coast pinot noir I have enjoyed more.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Wow

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:41 am

Inman is good stuff, and 2005 made more delicate wines. The combination works well.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:30 pm

Thanks for that note Jim - I had the chance to drink this at a dinner last month and your description captures it perfectly. A really elegant, tasty Pinot that I'm keeping an eye out for (wish some of those close-out racks were around here).
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Thanks for that note Jim - I had the chance to drink this at a dinner last month and your description captures it perfectly. A really elegant, tasty Pinot that I'm keeping an eye out for (wish some of those close-out racks were around here).

BTW, I communicated with Kathleen Inman and she said there was NO whole cluster involved in this bottling. Thus I assume that the OGV has a very definite character and now am even more delighted with this wine.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars