The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

If you were invited to a "serious sauvignon blanc" tasting..

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: If you were invited to a "serious sauvignon blanc" tasting..

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:03 pm

Mike Evans wrote:I'd one up the host with a Silex (a '97 opened a couple of months ago was outstanding and remarkably fresh), or go to the more obscure side, with a Goissot Sauvignon Gris or a Clos Roche Blanche SB from Touraine.
Hi Mike, if you are the Mike Evans I think you are, it has been a looooooooong time. Welcome back!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:52 pm

Jenise,
I'm coming late to the party, but here'd be my short list:

NZ - Older Cloudy Bay and/or Wairau River
Austria - E&M Tement's 'Zieregg' from South Styria (their '97 remains my benchmark for the variety)
Loire valley - covered already in great detail
White Bordeaux - blends with Semillon are allowed? If so, Haut Brion or Carbonnieux
CA - Merry Edwards. I haven't tried Grey Stack, but FL Jim's praise is good enough for me.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:31 am

Has anyone mentioned the Hanna SB yet? Sure should be considered in my opinion!
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

by Jim Brennan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:50 pm

In response to the original question, I'd take 1995 Domaine Henry Pellé Sancerre Cuvée Eric Pellé Vendage Tardives , as (aside from a handful of Sauternes), that's the only bottle I have...
no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

by Joshua Kates » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:51 pm

I underline Rogov's, and others', Rochioli recommendation. Just had one last night, the '06: young but drinking beautifully. (In style, it's a little like the Kim Crawford, same balance, but with a denser midpalate, a little more going on at the edges and indeed more ageworthy.) I've also liked the '05 or '06 Westerly, which had to be put down for a couple of years; in my experience, it did not drink well when young.(I was really surprised by the evolution of this wine, which sells for $20 or $25 a bottle. The Rochiloli is $30 at the winery, but tends to be marked up elsewhere.) Finally, along with the Cotat and Vatan, Reverdy Sancerre can be quite amazing, pushing the edges of what one expects in Sauvignon Blanc in respect to both steeliness, minerality, and tang (grapefruit). My problem is I do not remember precisely which Reverdy so impressed me: Hippolyte or Pascal and Nicolas. Looking over some labels on line, I think the latter, but I am not wholly sure. (Was there once a Frederic?) Anyone else familiar with extreme Sauvignon Blanc from Reverdy?

Josh
Previous