The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

If you were invited to a "serious sauvignon blanc" tasting..

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: If you were invited to a "serious sauvignon blanc" tasting..

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:24 pm

Cliff Rosenberg wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:Aged Cotat or Vatan, if available.

Or Thomas-Labaille

Aged?
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:33 pm

Jenise
I hope this works as a link:

http://www.wineanorak.com/iconsauvignonblanc.htm

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:29 pm

Cliff Rosenberg wrote:

Or Thomas-Labaille

Joe Dressner pays $3.00 for all placements. That away to go. :roll:
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:56 pm

Begging everyone's pardon, but what's "serious" about sauvignon blanc?
I like it, it's generally easy, it's often the most populous white in my cellar.
But "serious"???

John (who generally thinks the seriousness of wine is highly overhyped)
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:39 pm

John - Santa Clara wrote:Begging everyone's pardon, but what's "serious" about sauvignon blanc?
I like it, it's generally easy, it's often the most populous white in my cellar.
But "serious"???

John (who generally thinks the seriousness of wine is highly overhyped)

No argument that the seriousness of wine is highly overhyped. Even so, I direct your attention to the bottle of Pascal & Nicolas Reverdy "Les Coûtes" 2007, which will tear off the top of your head.

Forgive my colorful language; I'm trying to do justice to a white wine of startling power and complexity. (And I am deeply ashamed of myself for loving a wine that that fat old lawyer from Maryland also loved, but what can you do?)
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:30 am

I am familiar with Cotat but never tasted it. I am not at all familiar with Pur Sang. My favorite SB wines are from New Zealand. For that last couple of vintages my benchmark has been Saint Clair Wairau Reserve 2006 or 2007. This is a very agressive style but that is what I like about it. I have not had 2008 yet. I got to go to a trade tasting for New Zealand Winegrowers in Vancouver and was very impressed. I got to taste many 2008 Sauvignon Blancs and there were a few that I was disappointed in. One of them was the 2008 Kim Crawford. It just seemed to lack the intensity and aggressiveness of the last few vintages, which I have loved. My guess is that it got overcropped. Some that were outstanding were Wither Hills Rarangi, Stoneleigh Rapaura series, Otu, and Esk Valley from Hawkes Bay. The first 3 were from Marlborough.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:41 am

Hi Jenise,

If choosing an Australian sauvignon blanc, look for something from the Adelaide Hills. The cool to cold climate Australian SBs are the best, emphasising clean finish, delicate acid, and subtle fruit. Australian SB produced in warmer areas tends to be fruitier, with more passionfruit and tropical flavours. A good cool-climate Australian SB is pale, pale, pale gold, and best drunk when young. Barratt, Geoff Weaver, Henscke Lenswood, Nepenthe, Petaluma, Shaw & Smith are brand names I'd look for ... but I have no idea if these export to your area.

Re 'serious', I take this to mean a wine that is able to be drunk mindfully, appreciating its flavours and nuances, rather than an el-cheapo barbecue wine that is so generic it really doesn't matter what it's made of. Hence the recommendation of Adelaide Hills SB, which is an evolving style recognised as a worthy expression of the grape.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:04 am

If the host pops a Pur Sang, I would step up with a 96 Silex. Pretty hard to top, but you could also go with a Cotat.

There are also some super SBs from Alto Adige (e.g. Terlan) and Colli Orientali.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

by Nigel Groundwater » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:35 am

Jenise, here is my attempt to answer your question although I can see from earlier posts that some is repetition.

With Dagueneau gone Francois Cotat's La Grande Cote or Monts Damnes or Culs de Beaujeu [first for preference but all good] would probably be my first among equals favourite top SBs although Dagueneau’s son Benjamin and daughter Charlotte may yet surprise with what they learned from their father. Of course some of Didier’s wines will still be available although presumably more difficult and even more expensive to acquire.

We enjoyed the brothers Cotat’s wines [the same wine] but of the cousins, their respective sons, that now make the wines [with the same names but now different wines] we prefer Francois’s to Pascal’s although that might just have been luck of the draw. They are different though and we now only have Francois’s in our cellar although I know others with the reverse preference. I would be grateful to be offered either cousin’s wines to drink.

However for value for money reasons we have many different SBs [e.g. Andre Dezat's excellent Sancerre and Pouilly Fume and Maurice Barbou's Touraine, Domaine des Corbillieres, Cuvee Justine to name but 3] that we drink on a much more regular basis. Maurice’s grandfather Fabel Barbou was decorated by the French Government for the work he did for Loire viticulture with special reference to the Sauvignon Blanc grape so they have a reputation to protect. Some of the Barbou wines are available in the USA but I don’t think any of Dezat’s are or Barbou’s Cuvee Justine.

The Barbou Cuvee Justine and Dezat Sancerre are our house SBs. We bring 4 cases of the Justine back from the Domaine des Corbillieres winery on our Loire holiday every year - along with much smaller quantities of Francois Cotat [all 3 above], Didier Dagueneau [Pur Sang and his basic Pouilly Fume], Alphonse Mellot [Cuvee Edmond Sancerre and the much less expensive Domaine La Moussiere], Vacheron [The excellent but expensive La Reine Blanche and Les Romains Sancerres and occasionally their good and much less expensive basic cuvee] and Henri Bourgeois [one or two of his over 10 SB cuvees – usually Grande Reserve and Monts Damnes Sancerres although he also does a Pouilly Fume which I have never had]. Some of these are available from Francois Chidaine’s shop, La Cave Insolite, in Montlouis where his wife is usually in attendance. I think most of the above would also be available in the USA.

Some others that we drink mainly in restaurants are de Ladoucette’s Pouilly Fume, Baron de L [expensive], their standard Pouilly Fume and a more simple Sauvignon Blanc. Chateau de Tracy Pouilly Fume is another reliable SB and both are probably available in the USA.

A more recent discovery for us is B&A Minchin's Menetou-Salon, La Tour Saint Martin, Cuvee Honorine [barrel aged] as well as their much less expensive un-oaked version. La Tour Saint Martin also makes, IMO, one of the best Loire Pinot Noirs - cuvee Celestin. We now drive down to the Domaine at Crosses in Menetou-Salon but the Minchin’s wines have also been available at La Cave Insolite and are now being exported although probably not yet in the USA.

Henri Pelle makes some good value SBs in Menetou-Salon too but we don’t cellar them. They should be available in the USA.

I have found that oak-touched SBs are the ones that age best with complexity making up for the gradual moderation of zingy fruit and acidity. Even the modest but still exceptional Cuvee Justine 2002 is still drinking well although the Barbous expressed surprise that we were still drinking it when we picked up the 2006s last year.

We drink our SBs from acquisition but allow some to age too though only a few of them and rarely past 10 years. Most are gone by 4-6.

Of course, as someone has already suggested, it depends what you mean by a serious tasting. If serious means exploring a full range of value and taste rather than simply trying to live with a Dagueneau Silex [pretty difficult although I prefer the cheaper Pur Sang] then I think many of those listed would fit the bill. If what you need are the more expensive heavyweights then I might suggest a Francois Cotat La Grande Cote or an Alphonse Mellot Generation XIX or Edmond or a Vacheron Les Romains or Reine Blanche or a de Ladoucette Baron de L. Of those I am only really interested in allowing the Cotat to age past 8 years although most are gone long before that. However I had several 2000 Mellot Edmonds last year which were very smooth and alive although some feel that his wines are rather oaky.

I apologise for the length of this post but I hope it is of some use.

I look forward to what comes out of the tasting and your TNs.
no avatar
User

Cliff Rosenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:06 pm

New York City

by Cliff Rosenberg » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:44 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Cliff Rosenberg wrote:

Or Thomas-Labaille

Aged?

Depends on what you mean by aged. I had the 2001 TL Buster last night, and it was beautiful. I don't like Sauvignon Blanc, as a general proposition, but I thought it was a really special wine, esp. given the conditions of the vintage.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:32 pm

I'm surprised that the term 'serious' isn't more universal to a bunch of wine geeks. Now, I didn't ask the guy who proposed this topic exactly what he meant by it, but I know he owns a lot of Dagenau and am reasonably certain he is calling for sauvignon blancs of outstanding quality, wines that are highly sought after, wines that should be highly sought after, wines that are iconic, idiosyncratic or legendary, wines that surprise in a good way, and wines that have a good back story that piques interest--basically, any wine that would make the evening more interesting. Here's a Steve Tanzer review of a good example of the last type of wine, made in California by winemakers formerly of Chateau Latour in France and in a Bordelais style: •2008 Captûre Sauvignon Blanc (IWC 92) – “Very pale silvery-yellow. Pungent aromas of lemon, pink grapefruit, quinine, anise and white flowers. Juicy, dense and penetrating, with lovely intensity and a light touch to the grapefruit, floral and mineral flavors. Very clean and suave sauvignon; brisk but not at all hard. Perhaps best on the tactile, gripping back end, which shows sneaky, reverberating length…“- Stephen Tanzer
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:21 pm

Very nice, Nigel, thanks.
Some new producers to me
no avatar
User

Lee Short

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:08 pm

WA USA

by Lee Short » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:58 pm

For something sure to raise some eyebrows, I'd bring a Jermann. Or cheat and bring the Radikon that's 30% SB.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm surprised that the term 'serious' isn't more universal to a bunch of wine geeks. Now, I didn't ask the guy who proposed this topic exactly what he meant by it, but I know he owns a lot of Dagenau and am reasonably certain he is calling for sauvignon blancs of outstanding quality, wines that are highly sought after, wines that should be highly sought after, wines that are iconic, idiosyncratic or legendary, wines that surprise in a good way, and wines that have a good back story that piques interest--basically, any wine that would make the evening more interesting.

I don't know. I always thought of 'serious' wines as wines with complex flavors and structures, usually built for aging to develop their potential, and usually the 'top' of the producer's offerings as opposed to the 'easy drinking' basic cuvees. Everything you described could apply to any wine, whether a simple quaffer or a sturdy ager. That said, we've had lots of debates about my use of these terms before and I know lots of people have problems with dividing lines among wines this way. And I certainly see what you are getting after.

As a side note, even though I rarely drink SB all of this is making me want to go out and buy some of the 95 Cotat La Grande Cote I saw in the shop last week. Any positive notes on that? How about the Cotat 'Cuvee Paul'? Which is much more expensive but apparently much rarer.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:52 pm

Jenise..I see that several other posters have joined me in proposing the Silex/Pur Sang pairing that I recommended..

to answer your question, Grey Stack used to be called Dry Stack until Dry Sack brought action..their syrahs and SB's have posted about on this board before. You even expressed surprise about Dry Sack's actions in one of the threads..
In any event, this is a small production winery making terrific wines..their 07 and 08 SB's are terrific...Intense tropical fruits predominate the 08 and it was bottled unfiltered..A very impressive wine, a "serious" SB
Jon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:09 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:Jenise..I see that several other posters have joined me in proposing the Silex/Pur Sang pairing that I recommended..

to answer your question, Grey Stack used to be called Dry Stack until Dry Sack brought action..their syrahs and SB's have posted about on this board before. You even expressed surprise about Dry Sack's actions in one of the threads..
In any event, this is a small production winery making terrific wines..their 07 and 08 SB's are terrific...Intense tropical fruits predominate the 08 and it was bottled unfiltered..A very impressive wine, a "serious" SB

Yes yes yes, I remember now. Is the winemaker Russell B-something, Bevans? That rings a bell too. Thanks for the recco--would love to get my hands on what you describe. Would be cool for the Canadian group too, since California wines are of interest but hard to get in variety and deadly expensive when they get there (about 2x American retail).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:56 pm

Russell Bevan is a very talented winemaker...to the best of my knowledge, the Rosemary's block SB is still available via the website,
$28/bottle plus shipping
Jon
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:34 pm

I'd suggest a bottle of Clos du Tue-Boeuf Touraine Le Brin de Chèvre. Subtle and elegant - and available!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:22 am

MtBakerDave wrote:I'd suggest a bottle of Clos du Tue-Boeuf Touraine Le Brin de Chèvre. Subtle and elegant - and available!

Nice wine, but I'd bring a backup of something else as these wines have some pretty serious bottle variation. Also, Le Brin de Chèvre is menu pineau. Le Buisson Pouilleux is sauvignon blanc.
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:56 am

Rahsaan wrote:Also, Le Brin de Chèvre is menu pineau. Le Buisson Pouilleux is sauvignon blanc.

Oops! I got them mixed up. That's what I get for posting from home!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:56 pm

Not one I've tasted, but Domaine A (from Tasmania, Australia) "Lady A Fume Blanc" might be an example of a more worked style, well-suited to such a tasting.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:04 pm

Pavillon Blanc de Château Margaux or Haut Brion Blanc would be my suggestions, possibly also Laville Haut Brion Blanc. Then, I also like Cloudy Bay.
Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:44 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm surprised that the term 'serious' isn't more universal to a bunch of wine geeks. Now, I didn't ask the guy who proposed this topic exactly what he meant by it, but I know he owns a lot of Dagenau and am reasonably certain he is calling for sauvignon blancs of outstanding quality, wines that are highly sought after, wines that should be highly sought after, wines that are iconic, idiosyncratic or legendary, wines that surprise in a good way, and wines that have a good back story that piques interest--basically, any wine that would make the evening more interesting. Here's a Steve Tanzer review of a good example of the last type of wine, made in California by winemakers formerly of Chateau Latour in France and in a Bordelais style: •2008 Captûre Sauvignon Blanc (IWC 92) – “Very pale silvery-yellow. Pungent aromas of lemon, pink grapefruit, quinine, anise and white flowers. Juicy, dense and penetrating, with lovely intensity and a light touch to the grapefruit, floral and mineral flavors. Very clean and suave sauvignon; brisk but not at all hard. Perhaps best on the tactile, gripping back end, which shows sneaky, reverberating length…“- Stephen Tanzer

What part of "tear off the top of your head" seems unserious?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:04 pm

The thought of a $90 SB boggles my feeble mind.
PreviousNext