The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Blind Tasting Dinner Notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Blind Tasting Dinner Notes

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:31 am

Notes from a pot luck dinner with my usual blind tasting lunch group.

1997 Remoissenet Renommee Bourgogne Blanc – medium colour, nice lemony nose with hints of caramel, and a nice long clean finish. Purportedly a blend of declassified Puligny and Meursault. Very nice mature Burg at a bargain price.

Antech Cremant de Limoux 'Emotion' (nv) – soft pink bubbly for summer drinking, full and crisp with some decent yeastiness in the nose.

The next two wines were so different and yet both so interesting and were served with a wonderful lobster salad.

1999 Nigl Gruner Veltliner Privat Senftenberger Piri – great white pepper and pear nose had us all heading for the Rhone, though less usual in a white. Well made wine with good weight and fruit and a suave palate presentation that would shame many a white Burg. Long clean finish.

1996 Huet Vouvray sec Le Haut Lieu – I brought this because we had tasted a 2006 Lieu-dit recently and I wanted to show what age in a good vintage could do. Lemon yellow with a waxy grapefruit and floral nose and a bit of richer fruit underneath – hint of passion fruit? Great fruit in the mouth, a lemon cream confection that finished long and with great acidity. I surprised everyone by bringing this instead of my usual red.

2002 Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre – uplifted nose with some citrus – turned definitely to lemon with a bit of time, soft but balanced ending with a nice flush of clean acidity.

2004 Jadot Santenay Blanc Clos de Malte – similar colour to the Chablis, but the nose totally different with medium sweet oak and creamed corn (not my descriptor but very apt). Big mouth feel and excellent length and acidity. Performed above its pay grade.

1989 Talbot – the nose on this wine was very good- big, rich and mature, with hints of briar and green. Sweet on palate with lively acidity. No rush.

1986 Talbot – brought by chance by another participant. Excellent mature nose with some currant and vanilla, great balance, lots of stuffing, exceptional length, and the tannins now abated to a degree that makes it hard to argue for more cellar time. I am fortunate in having both vintages in my cellar, so far untouched!

1999 Tenuta Roccaccia Fontenova - an IGT all Sangiovese wine from Tuscany, with a big cocoa nose, sweet attack and slow clean retire. Very pleasant wine and one that I see from my cellar list is also residing (somewhere) in my cellar and I must search it out as it is drinking so well now.

2003 Quintarelli Primofiore - pepper in the nose, and a big entry with ripe fruit, and this ripeness is also the theme in midpalate, followed by a medium long finish.

1997 Joseph Swan Wolfspierre Vd. Sonoma Pinot Noir – I should preface this note by saying that I have sought out and enjoyed Swan’s wines for a couple of decades now, back into the interesting Zinfandels from the 70s, assorted cabs and chards, and the odd Pinot Noir. Which nicely brings me to the wine at hand, because this Pinot Noir was very odd indeed! A dark wine with a sweet minty nose that had us thinking Australia, some raspberry in the nose, but on palate oddly disjointed and totally un-Pinot like. This wasn’t (IMHO) good, though it wasn’t a bad wine, it was just a very strange wine that made you wonder what (or if) the winemaker had been thinking. Great for blind tastings, as other than the hint of raspberry, there was zero clue as to varietal.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Blind Tasting Dinner Notes

by Jenise » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:28 pm

What a fabulous night! Some comments:

1997 Remoissenet Renommee Bourgogne Blanc – steely and with a little slate, very chablis-like at this point in its life. Delicious and interesting.

Antech Cremant de Limoux 'Emotion' (nv) – Can't believe we didn't pick up on the fact that this was the same wine we had last Saturday. Seemed drier this time and a tad more serious--maybe garden/bocce vs. modern home and art collection influences?

I loved this next set: two highly idiosyncratic wines with very forceful personalities and yet not one thing in common. Luck of the draw, of course, since you and I didn't know what each other had brought.

1999 Nigl Gruner Veltliner Privat Senftenberger Piri – my wine so no guesswork required, but I will add that it met every expectation and hope I had for this wine and then some (another bottle opened about a year ago was flat and underwelming, so I didn't know if it was the wine or bottle variation). Very bright, big and complex: white pepper all over the nose with sweet green pea (I put peas and pea sprig tips in the lobster salad to pull that component), your pear and tangerine citrus notes. Ken suggested one could probably cellar this another decade, and I think he's right.

Oh damn, the contractors need me to go buy paint. More later!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:57 pm

Jenise wrote:Antech Cremant de Limoux 'Emotion' (nv) – Can't believe we didn't pick up on the fact that this was the same wine we had last Saturday. Seemed drier this time and a tad more serious--maybe garden/bocce vs. modern home and art collection influences?

Know what you mean. I saw a Dali exhibit in university one time after downing a large bottle of plonque and lost a whole weekend.....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:22 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Know what you mean. I saw a Dali exhibit in university one time after downing a large bottle of plonque and lost a whole weekend.....

You mean it just slipped away from you? :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:43 pm

So back to my notes (btw, there was a single leftover lobster tail, I just ate it for lunch):

1996 Huet Vouvray sec Le Haut Lieu – You note describes it perfectly. I really thank you for bringing this and educating my palate with the comparison of this to the young Huet we had last weekend. Great wine.

2002 Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre – It's worth noting that there was a bit of a fight at the table with the majority thinking this WASN'T chardonnay. It was so lemony and without apple character.

2004 Jadot Santenay Blanc Clos de Malte – What you said.

1989 Talbot – Gorgeous wine. There was little doubt that this was a Bordeaux from an excellent year; wish I owned some.

1986 Talbot – Also quite excellent. Very resolved for an '86, and very sweet on the palate for a Bordeaux. (Though most of us believed it was Bordeaux based on aroma alone, once we tasted it we went to California first.)

1999 Tenuta Roccaccia Fontenova - a great wine with so effusive a nose that we had trouble, until Ken was so smart as to concentrate on acidity alone, determining to be Italian, and I'll note that once that was offered, 'nebbiolo' was guessed before Sangiovese.

2003 Quintarelli Primofiore - What you said.

1997 Joseph Swan Wolfspierre Vd. Sonoma Pinot Noir – I brought this. Sweet raspberry fruit with a haunting mint nose that was kind of a non-match for the almost porty-sweet and medicinal iodine on the palate. Gotta say, objectively speaking, that It's holding up extremely well for its age, but I can see why none of the rest of you liked it--Rob put it well about the difference between liking the wine and respecting the wine. I always loved the idiosyncratic Wolfespierre fruit and jumped at the chance to buy a case when I heard that the vineyard was getting ripped out by a new owner to plant syrah) without tasting it first or pondering the effect of the extraordinarily warm vintage. The mint--that's standard Wolfie, but the rest comes from the ripeness and I'll agree that it's too ripe. Yet, having a reference point, I forgive it things the rest of you wouldn't.