The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dom. Chignard Fleurie 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN: Dom. Chignard Fleurie 2006

by Bob Hower » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:12 pm

We invited a couple of good friends over for home-made pizza a few days before they were to leave for Paris. Standing at the kitchen counter enjoying a few hors-d'oeuvres, I poured a couple of glasses of this Fleuri while Keith and I were chatting. We had not even touched our glasses when all of a sudden we both stopped our conversation in mid-sentence, arrested by the beautiful bouquet coming from this wine. I've never had that happen before. I don't consider myself to have a very exceptional nose, but you'd have to have a nose of wood not to enjoy this one. "It lives up to its name" Keith said. Indeed it does. I did not take notes at the time, but I remember, besides the wonderful flowery smells, a nice tingling sense of carbonation, rich and bright strawberry flavors, mouth watering acidity, balanced tannins, and a feeling of aliveness. About $20, 12.5% ABV, all the life and easy pleasure you want from a top Beaujolais. A Kermit Lynch import, and my understanding is that he insists that this wine remain unfiltered for import to the US, even though the French bottlings are filtered. My guess is that this one could be cellared for a number of years.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Dom. Chignard Fleurie 2006

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:25 am

I've been going through a sixpack of this with some pleasure, but less than you describe. Perhaps I'll open one tonight in case it has blossomed!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: Dom. Chignard Fleurie 2006

by Bob Hower » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:07 am

Context is everything of course. It was a wonderful evening with friends and I think that can increase one's wine pleasure quotient, but all of us were quite enamored of this wine. Do let me know what you think of your next bottle. If I could get it locally I'd invest in more.