The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tudal and Tower Estate Barossa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Tudal and Tower Estate Barossa

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:05 am

1998 Tudal Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Napa Valley. Still alive and kicking, despite the "bad" vintage 8)
Dark color and no obvious bricking. Definitely on the red fruit side of the ledger, with red currant and lean berry notes. There was some debate about the acid..I thought it was definitely there while another taster thought the wine too flabby or soft. Not sure where he was coming from there???? Tannins are definitely soft and integrated. The 1998 bell pepper quality is here, too, mixed in with the red fruit. While I greatly preferred the 2003, this was a very fine, elegant, soft, and easy drinking mature Cali Cab. Bravo, again! 88 points.

2001 Tower Estate Barossa Valley Shiraz. From the "Peter Lehman Private Estate" vines. Completely different, of course, than the Hunter Valley I've enjoyed so much...but actually quite delicious in its own way. Whereas the Hunter is all about the red fruit and the acid, THIS wine is all about black fruit and black pepper. Licorice, earth, blackberry...but very dry, not sweetly "fruity." There is also savory, lovely acid in this wine that really makes it slurpable. A solid 90 points for me.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach