The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

1959?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

1959?

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:04 pm

Wine-searcher lists 141 entries (some with multiple bottles) for the 1959 vintage--which happens to be my own, which is why I'm poking around in places I don't normally, like Trockenbeerenauslese (sp?) and Sauternes territory. I gather that the safest bet in a 50-year-old bottle is Madeiria, given the fortification and heat processing it undergoes. But I was kinda hoping for a table wine. A couple of questions: do non-fortified stickies have longevity markedly greater than age-worthy reds, and if so, what gives it to them? Would this apply to Vin Santo? Anyone here have any recent experience, good or bad, with a 1959 bottle? Schneider's in DC has 1959 Grand Cardiole Chateauneuf du Pape for $100, and I can't imagine I'd be able to verify that it's been stored properly since release, but even if I could, it's likely OTH, right? Thanks for your thoughts.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: 1959?

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:17 pm

Never had a 1959 CdP.
A classic year for Bordeaux. The Mouton rocks (but for more than 2 grand!). That's the problem with 1959 claret, it's a famous vintage, so quite expensive (and probably more so in 2009). Betsy is a 1959, and I have a lone bottle of Talbot (I also have 3 sweet wines- a Sauternes, a Moulin Touchais,and a sweet primitivo). Burgundy is likely to be even more expensive.

A better bet for affordable (but not showing now on WS) is Rioja. The CVNE was great a few years ago, and I heard Ygay is better. But I've lost out on both online and B&M auctions for the Ygay. But if not in a hurry might watch auction sites, etc.

Early happy birthday!
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks, Dale. Rioja is a great idea. You're right about the Bdx and Burgs--awfully steep, especially considering the inherent risks. Out of curiosity, is your Primitivo the Ferrari Solaria Jonica? I've seen some interesting things about that one. (Congrats and empathy to Betsy, too.)
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:ks, Dale. Rioja is a great idea. You're right about the Bdx and Burgs--awfully steep, especially considering the inherent risks. Out of curiosity, is your Primitivo the Ferrari Solaria Jonica? I've seen some interesting things about that one. (Congrats and empathy to Betsy, too.)

Just to be clear, I've lost out with $150-200 bids on the Ygay. Better than Bdx, but not cheap.
Yes, the Ferrari. Haven't tried, but should be interested.

I'm a 1960, which means little drinkable, but lots cheaper! I have the 60 BV GdlT and Fonseca for next year.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:12 pm

Treat yourself - you deserve it!

Once in your life you should taste the 59 Palmer, even if you have to pay $1200 a bottle. Find 5 other guys to chip in and you'll all have a memorable experience. The Margaux and Montrose are also excellent! The Grand Puy should be findable for 1/4 of that.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:35 pm

The Ygay Late Release '59 was awesome! One of my most memorable wine experiences so far.

I can't find my notes that I posted here anymore, but a few years back we had a tasting of extremely minor '59s from Bordeaux, wines that should have been dead. They cost very little yet provided great drinking - assuming that, like us, you like very mature wines. I'll link to it if I find it. So yes, one can get lucky and find affordable and pleasurable '59s still.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:39 pm

I think your first question (you don't need to give us the answer) is how much are you willing to spend. That makes the decision easier.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Make friends with somebody that has a '59 Latour. Preferably a light drinker! :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:55 pm

Clinton, when is your birthday? 1959 was a great year indeed! :mrgreen:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:34 pm

Clinton,

I have had the pleasure to experience the 1959 Moulin Touchais several times and while it has shown some variation, the best bottles have been most memorable and the slightly less good ones still very good. If you can find it and afford it, I'd say, don't hesitate. As Otto, I also have fond memories of the Ygay Late release, it was indeed awesome. Also the very few examples of Bordeaux I've had from this year have been fine, so that should be worth seeking out. While Madeira could be good, I think one only needs to revert to this option in years that are very poor almost everywhere, as in my case... :(

Good luck, and let us know shat you find,
Anders
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:56 pm

Clinton, I have also been lucky enough to be born in what was a decent vintage year. I am having a series of dinners to celebrate including one with some wine nut friends. For that, so far I have picked up the following from '59, a Marc Bredif Vouvray to start the meal, a Pichon Lalande for the main and a Moulin Touchais. I am also tempted depending on how business goes between now and the end of July to go after either a Lynch Bages or a Palmer.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:I think one only needs to revert to this option in years that are very poor almost everywhere, as in my case... :(

...a useful reminder for me to mention that we've not drunk the Vallana yet (or it's 2 sister bottles) so don't forget to give me a shout if you're in the area.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:
Anders Källberg wrote:I think one only needs to revert to this option in years that are very poor almost everywhere, as in my case... :(

...a useful reminder for me to mention that we've not drunk the Vallana yet (or it's 2 sister bottles) so don't forget to give me a shout if you're in the area.
regards
Ian
Ian

Hold them there bottles. Very good chance I may get up there this year. Happy to have a mini '59 offline in London if that appeals.

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:42 pm

Mark
Unfortunately not 1959, though I won't embarass Anders by mentioning his birth year 8)

Still - it would be cool to meet up for a bottle or two if you head over. London trips are rare for me, but exceptions can be made! I believe Mr Wickman is heading over soon as well - the buoyant Aussie dollar being put to good use!

My apologies in advance for Heathrow Airport (Gatwick is better if you can get it). Let me know if you need any info.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:42 am

Thanks to all for your input--terrific and helpful as always. If I find something in range (sadly, that won't include Palmer), I'll be sure to post.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:56 am

Of course, the stupid advice is to have started earlier. Prices on 59's have doubled (at least) in the past year - this is the year everybody is looking!
However, the good news is that (almost) all are holding well. I have a close relative born in that year, so have snapped up anything 'good' I find. The best Bordeaux deals are in English Bottlings of 'good but not top' chateaux (e.g. Montrose, Rausan Segla, Pichon-Baron, Grand Puy Laoste) - all of which I purchased (some consumed). The 59 Riojas are also good (but tiring) - especially the Castillo Ygay. You may still find some of the Remoissenet 59 Burgundies (I used to find them in New York), and perhaps most surprising, the 59 German have held remarkably well - even in the Auslese/ 'Cabinet' level - very high acidity, but low botrytis, meant good aging.
And of course Sauternes and Loire (I found a cache of Vouvray from Bourillons Dorleans a couple of years back - straight from producer).
The 59 Bual Madeira from Blandy can still be found (although the Rare Wine Company doesn't have it - I guess others got there first).
I even found a 59 Champagne - but that's probably a curiosity!

Good luck. And start looking again in a couple of years, prices will be lower!
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:27 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:...a useful reminder for me to mention that we've not drunk the Vallana yet (or it's 2 sister bottles) so don't forget to give me a shout if you're in the area.
regards
Ian

Not much risk that I would forget that, Ian, but although I have been traveling a bit lately, unfortunately none of my trips has taken me to the UK. I'll let you know if I come anywhere near you.
Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:21 am

A general question: Friday night we hope to drink the 59 Pichon Lalande. One topic of discussion that has come up is when is the best time of day to open the bottle for dinner. I had suggested first thing in the morning but no decant. A fellow drinker is concerned it will fall over during that time and suggests 5pm 3-4 hours before we drink it, again no decant. The bottle was acquired at auction so we do not know its providence. For those that have more experience with older wine, what are your preferences?
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:06 am

Mark Kogos wrote:A general question: Friday night we hope to drink the 59 Pichon Lalande. One topic of discussion that has come up is when is the best time of day to open the bottle for dinner. I had suggested first thing in the morning but no decant. A fellow drinker is concerned it will fall over during that time and suggests 5pm 3-4 hours before we drink it, again no decant. The bottle was acquired at auction so we do not know its providence. For those that have more experience with older wine, what are your preferences?

Providence would be if the wine were good; provenance is the correct term for the history and storage a wine has experienced.

The news may not be good for your bottle. Here is RPs view:

1959 Pichon-Longueville Comtesse de Lalande Pauillac (79)

Last Tasted 8/92

The orange and rust color gives the impression of a tired, old wine. At first the nose offers up jammy, sweet aromas of coffee, cedar, fruitcake, and ripe fruit. However, within five minutes the nose begins to disintegrate, revealing stale, faded fruit smells. In the mouth, there is glycerin, alcohol, and size, but the freshness and opulence of sweet fruit has disintegrated. Previous tastings of the 1959 suggested that this vintage was not a major success for the chateau, and all the bottles in this tasting were in serious decline.

I would open right before drinking and have another bottle of something handy in case yours is no better tthan the ones RP tasted.
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:12 am

Don't give up hope.
First, I'm a believer in opening as short a time as possible before consuming.

We had a 59 Rausan Segla last month (English botling, bought at auction, unknown provenance). Because it was to be consumed at a restaurant I decided to decant before I left as otherwise I risked the sediment being shaken up. So about 30 mins before leaving (having stood the bottle up 48 hours prior) I decanted about 75% and then filtered the remainder through an unbleached coffee filter paper. The bottle was rinsed out (tap water) and allowed to drain for 5 minutes and the wine (both decanted and filtered) was returned to the bottle and recorked (with a young cork). I also took a back-up - which wasn't necessary.
Fortunately the wine showed extremely well - I don't think it would have improved with longer storage, but no apologies were needed for keeping it too long. This bottle was the most ullaged of 3 and the first to be opened.

Pure fruit (raspberry/black cherry) on the nose - no funkiness at all and the aroma expanded into the kitchen as I decanted. By the time it was consumed (maybe 1-2 hours later) the pefume had diminished, but still had the same elements.
On the taste, sweet pure raspberries with some supporting acidity. Perhaps lacking some acidity, but still had structure although these were really soft tannins. Medium finish fading gently.
We discussed whether to consume the rest or save them another 5-10 years (for future celebrations) and certainly we wouldn't hesitate to keep for another 5 years to try the next bottle.

A memorable wine. And well worth the $1 corkage charged.

Edited to add:
There's a technique to extracting old corks that almost always works for me. I described this on another board - and as it's a long post I'll cross-reference.

http://fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum/ ... f=1&t=5516

It's the last post in the thread.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:50 pm

My one and only brush with the year was a Gloria maybe five years ago. Unbelievably sweet and interesting.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:23 pm

Oh the vintage is superlative - easily the equal of the more highly touted 1961. It's just that some are still alive, and some, like the Pichon, ain't.

http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_submitted/wine_notes/tn_7274.html
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:34 pm

I understand you are not so keen on the idea of Madeira, but I feel duty-bound to point out that Leacocks Sercial 1959 was one of the few really stand-out wines I have ever tried. And I owned a whole bottle, drinking a small glass at a time over about a year. My mouth is watering thinking about it. If you want a table wine, drink it with soup :)
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:23 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Oh the vintage is superlative - easily the equal of the more highly touted 1961. It's just that some are still alive, and some, like the Pichon, ain't.

http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_submitted/wine_notes/tn_7274.html
Apolgizes but it turns out we have the Baron not the Comtesse.
Miss dhem Saints.
Next